cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T6s not working with EOS Webcam Utility

vincentcd
Apprentice

Hello, I have a Canon Rebel EOS T6s. 

I'm trying to use it as a webcam for OBS, however it doesn't seem to be working with my PC. It is showing no video output other than the generic "EOS WEBCAM UTILITY" placeholder.

I downloaded the following file from this page: https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/Cameras/EOS-Digital-Cameras/0020C001#idReference=software-driver...

vincentcd_0-1671594370631.png

I've installed it and am able to launch the EOS Webcam Utility, however my camera nor PC reacts to the camera being plugged in via USB in the A/V Out port.

vincentcd_1-1671594578265.png

I've also tried testing it with MS Teams, and it will not work there either.

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It worked with my Mac on zoom and YouTube Live. Have you tried giving it a half press of the shutter to wake it up?

Yeah, it hasn't worked yet.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Starting with the basics.  Do you have the EOS Utility Installed?  If so, it needs to be closed in the System Tray before the WebCam Utility can run properly.   What cable are you using to connect the camera to the PC with?  Are you connecting directly to a USB port on the motherboard or laptop?  Hubs should not be used.  Finally, is the camera detected by the operating system?  Does it appear in This PC as a storage device or in Device Manager when connected?  If not, it will not be available in the WebCam Utility.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I did install the EOS Utility and it does not see my camera either.

vincentcd_0-1671610498301.png

It's plugged in to my camera's A/V Out port via mini-USB to USB Type-A. On the PC end it is connected directly to a motherboard USB port.

It also does not appear in my PC as a storage device.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ I've installed it and am able to launch the EOS Webcam Utility, however my camera nor PC reacts to the camera being plugged in via USB in the A/V Out port. “ 

This connection is probably the entire problem.  This type of connection can damage both the camera or your computer, if not both.  Never knew such a cable existed.

You need use a USB data cable between camera’s USB port and your computer’s USB port.  A USB charging cable, like the ones that you can buy at a gas station, will not work.

Let’s take a step back for moment.  If you installed the EOS Utility 3, then that is a good thing.  We can use it to confirm communication between the camera and the computer.  

Your screenshot shows the user interface for the EOS Launcher Utility Service.  Close the window.  You will need to go into your C: drive Programs folder to launch the EOS Utility 3 manually.  Once you do this the first time, then it should launch itself automatically the next time and every time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizle:

I expect better from you:

Untitled.jpg

The A/V out is the USB port. While a standard USB-miniB will fit, the camera comes with a special cable that provides Audio and Video out, and fits in the same socket.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Waddizle:

I expect better from you:

Untitled.jpg

The A/V out is the USB port. While a standard USB-miniB will fit, the camera comes with a special cable that provides Audio and Video out, and fits in the same socket.

Wow.  I did not know that.  The only Rebels I have used are the entry level bodies like the ####D bodies.  Never used the advanced Rebels, ###D bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

You both already beat me to the next step.  Diagram and cable type which was the direction I was heading in and I'll believe is the culprit.  The T6s was my first DSLR and I still have great memories.  It went to a good home.  I think kvbarkley still has his.  @vincentcd, I'm betting its your cable.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements