cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R3 Raw files not working anymore with Apple Photos

AndyDado
Apprentice

Hello community!

After nearly 2 years of usage without any problem, my R3 RAW files do not work anymore in Apple Photos (since July 2024)

I have tried downloading the files on my MacBookPro (Sonoma) and Iphone, the files are imported but do not show on preview and cannot be open by Photos.

Any possible solution?

Thanks a lot

Andrea

16 REPLIES 16

ppina
Apprentice

Hi 

I test with new MacOS 15 beta and work.

BWJones
Apprentice

Adding my voice to this thread saying I too am having a problem on an Intel Mac Pro Sonoma 14.6.1.

bigcountry64
Apprentice

Thanks for your input.  From what I have been told by Apple support the more people that voice a problem with this same issue the more likely it will be looked into.

Update to Canon CR3 Raw Files not working in Apple Photos app from Canon R3.   On 8/14/2024 I updated the Photomator app.  I now can work with Canon CR3 Raw files in both Photomator and Apple Photos.  Not sure if this is a coincidence.  I did not update the Photos app beyond Sonoma 14.6.1  

If you update the OS, you update Photos. You can't choose *not* to update it!

migs25
Apprentice

Update 8/16/24 - I've just updated to Sonoma 14.6.1 and this has fixed all of my workflow issues with Canon CR3 Raw files and Apple Photos. I don't edit in Photos but all previously affected files (e.g. any files that were exported to folders after the issues began were showing as Preview icons) are now showing as image thumbnails. Uploading CR3 Raw files to Photos is also working fine. 

Thanks for letting us know.

Announcements