cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Image Software Transfer Utility for G7X Mark III - Privacy Concerns

DonJuane
Apprentice

Hi, I recently purchased the G7X Mark III with the idea to use the automated facilities to transfer photos to my laptop.  I find after installing all the software, several pages of me essentially giving away my rights of ownership and content in trade for using the "free" software.    This seems a trend now but I don't think I want to do that and I also believe since the features are advertised without the warning that I have a right to it without my daily activities becoming under the microscope of someone else and without my having to "just trust them" that they aren't up to something else.   Therefore I know that altering the business plan of Canon Inc. would be impossible, so is there anyone out there who can tell me the host names to block or the IP addresses so that I can block both the capturing of my personal data and photos?   Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings DonJuane,

I can understand your concern regarding the terms and conditions to using our Canon software. I've submitted your feedback, and customer feedback is taken into consideration. Please note Canon is unable to provide information for third-party services or applications to block data.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@DonJuane,

Maybe this will help.  Use of Canon's software is optional.  You don't need any software to download images from your camera.  You can use a card reader.  Nothing to agree to, just enjoy your photos.  

I reviewed the disclaimer.  It says Canon owns their software.  It does not say they own your pictures by using it, so you aren't forfeiting anything.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

DonJuane
Apprentice

Rick - Thanks so much, it is very kind of you to take the time to respond.   A few caveats, however.   It seems the SD card reader has disappeared along with the optical drive, at least with HP laptops.   I and another family member both realized it too late after purchasing and customizing our computers only to somehow overlook there is no SD card.   This leaves dragging around either a USB cable or a USB-C to SD card adapter, or USB to SD adapter, all unwanted accessories.    Still there are a lot of disclaimers about what Canon can do and not do and how they can monitor how you use the software to do this or do that or to "make improvements".    The bottom line is, I'd much rather see a user agreement stating that every effort has been maintained to secure my data and no data whatsever is collected from me.    And as far as people who say "don't worry about it", then "you don't worry about it".   I'm worried or I wouldn't be here.    I just don't understand why no software today can deliver a product without its nose up your you know what.   Still open to HOSTS block if anyone has set up up already.

Software will sometimes collect anonymous usage data to gain insight into what features are being used and how often.  Anonymous in that no personal identifiable information is used.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What Ricky said is 100% true.  Sorry that you missed the built in SD card reader option and that you don't want to carry one.  This one fits a USB port.  You can add an adapter which might make it 1/2 an inch longer.  This is what I used for my 6D2.  

You could probably spend $10 for both

shadowsports_3-1687192312195.png

shadowsports_0-1687191744628.png

So you said HP, which means windows.  Uncheck the boxes for anything Canon.  No outbound communication is allowed.

shadowsports_2-1687192011744.png

One of these should solve your issue instantly.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements