cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get LR5 tethered capture to work for 70D - EOS utility won't install

lbeckett
Apprentice

I am attempting to setup tethered capture on a macbook pro with Mavericks, Lightroom 5 and a Canon 70D.

Lightroom 5 tethered capture alternates between "no camera detected" to "Canon EOS 70D" a few times and then posts the following error:

"Tethered Capture is not able to connect with the camera Canon EOS 70D (error code Canon EOS 70D). Please try restarting Tethered Capture or relaunching Adobe Photoshop Lightroom."

After browing for a solution, some have suggested that need to install the latest EOS utility software.

The EOS utility CD (ver. 28.2) that came with the camera will not install. I can browse the CD, see the files, etc. but when riunning the installation the installer appears on the dock for a split second, disappears and no error is given.

I downloaded the latest software from the Canon website, but it is upgrade only software.

I found an old EOS utility CD and it installed fine on the laptop.

I then attempted to upgrade the software by using the new CD as well as the upgrade file from the Canon website.

No matter what method I use, I still get the same results. I click on the installer, it appears on the dock for a second, disappears and nothing is installed.

If anybody has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Do I need the EOS utility software installed to perform tethered capture in LR5 with a 70D? If so, why won't it install?

Thank you,

Larry

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Do I need the EOS utility software installed to perform tethered capture in LR5 with a 70D?"

The answer to this question is, no.  However I am not a Mac user but many of my Mac friends complain of problems with Mavericks and LR and possibly EOS Utility.  Canon has full d/l availibe for you instead of just the upgrade. They are also on the site. (at least for Win machines)

You may need to find a Mac site to help you with this.  Sorry I am of little help.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Dougerknot
Apprentice

reggielewis
Apprentice

If you change to Lightroom CC the tethering works quite well. Open LR CC; connect the cable; turn on the 70D and lastly open "start tethering."

I started it this way a week ago and no issues other than live view on the 70D does not work nor does LR CC support live tethering.

I am using Windows 10.

Good luck

Announcements