cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Connect app Location information logging keeps shutting off

allenhuffman
Contributor

Background: I have been using digital cameras since 1996, but I did not start geotagging images until around 2007 (using a Sony GPS-CS1). One of the reasons I switched to Canon a few years ago was being able to Geotag using the Camera Connect app.

Unfortunately, every trip the app seems to shut off GPS logging at some point. I have to check the app regularly to make sure it is still on. My last trip, with 5100 photos taken, had a batch of about 500 with no GPS data due to the app shutting off without me noticing.

Has anyone else seen this? It has been a consistent problem for me. I always use power banks to keep my phone charge (always preventing it from going in to the 20% “low power mode”).

Normally I am out for 12+ hours so perhaps it just can’t handle extended use?

Cheers.

Takin’ digital photos since 1996. (Canon G5X, currently)
4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

In order to help resolve your issue, the community needs a little more info and details.

What camera model are you using?  What type of phone are you using, and which OS is it running?  Which version of the Canon Connect application are you running?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I was unaware that there was more than one Camera Connect. It logs information, with no connection to the camera. Later, you can connect your phone to the camera via WiFi and the app will transfer GPS data to the camera, where it will embed it in the JPG images.

But the app has a toggle to Begin Logging, and it will shut itself off during the day.

I am using it for a G5X, but there is no issue there. The app itself turns off the logging. I have never had any issues connecting it to the camera.

Here is a screen shot from the app in question, taken from the newest iPad Pro model. I also run it on an older iPhone ( which was quite new when I got the G5X and began using the app), all running the latest iOS version.

7E3A18F4-379F-4C79-AA16-0C55D5D8D7C4.jpeg

Bednar
Contributor

@epayitonline wrote:

Background: I have been using digital cameras since 1996, but I did not start geotagging images until around 2007 (using a Sony GPS-CS1). One of the reasons I switched to Canon a few years ago was being able to Geotag using the Camera Connect app.

Unfortunately, every trip the app seems to shut off GPS logging at some point. I have to check the app regularly to make sure it is still on. My last trip, with 5100 photos taken, had a batch of about 500 with no GPS data due to the app shutting off without me noticing.

Has anyone else seen this? It has been a consistent problem for me. I always use power banks to keep my phone charge (always preventing it from going in to the 20% “low power mode”).

Normally I am out for 12+ hours so perhaps it just can’t handle extended use?

Cheers.

It appears that iPhones have the ability to limit the time an app can run. It seems to be part of the phone's parental controls, but may be able to limit any app. So make sure you don't have something like that turned on or set to an unreasonably short timeout.

allenhuffman
Contributor

Welcome to 2023. I last used CameraConnect in October 2022. When I was checking it out before a work trip, I saw it had a facelift. I hoped this bug might be fixed.

Sadly, it's even worse. Over five days, I was happy to see if never shut off logging. At night, I'd stop the logging then upload the GPS data in to the camera. It would take the normal "takes many minutes" as it uploaded data.

What I did not know until tonight was that out of nearly 4300 photos, it only had SEVEN (7) unique GPS locations. I have verified this using exiftool to recurse through my photos and build a .csv file of the GPS coordinates:

xiftool -csv -r -filename -gpslatitude -gpslongitude -T -n

I also had ChatGPT create me a script to do this:

https://github.com/allenhuffman/EXIFPhotoScripts/

Sadly, all roads lead to "CameraConnect did not work."

This is on a 2022 iPhone 14 Pro with 1TB of storage. I have (hopefully) submitted this problem to Canon support, in hopes there is a way I can get those five days of GPS data out of the app (if it's even in there).

Announcements