cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR2 File Conversion

Michelle_Scales
Contributor

Hello Everyone:

I'm having trouble converting CR2 image files to images.  And once I can convert the files, how do I not lose image quality?

Thanks in advance.

15 REPLIES 15

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum Michelle: {:-)

CR2, being a RAW file format has all the data recorded by the camera. JPG format is a compressed, what is called Lossy format that by definition throws away a lot of the image data in order to make the file smaller.

One critical question is what are you trying to produce from the file?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hello Trevor and thank you! I’m trying to upload the images to Shutterfly to share with friends and print copies.  

It will help to know what camera you are using, but more significantly, what resolution and file formats Shutterfly accepts or requires.  As I understand it, Shutterfly is a service that allows one to print books and other hardcopy output, so what specifically are you trying to produce and how big?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

A quick check on Shutterfly's Help system came up with the following page on resolution, which seems to indicate that anything over 10MB is not necessary: Shutterfly page on Resolution 

cheers, TREVOR

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I am assuming you are generally familiar with image editing and have previously edited JPEG files.

For Canon .CR2 files use the free Canon DPP4 software. It's the same for all camera models; you can use this link to get the software and manual.

Canon Support for EOS-1D X Mark III | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

You can select your desired output JPEG dimensions when you output the file.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What software are you using? What are you doing to "convert"?

I’m opening the CR2 file in Photos and saving as JPEG and then trying to upload to Shutterfly, but Shutterfly won’t accept the JPEG.  Or if I send JPEG by email it is low quality.

Strongly suggest you download the Canon Digital Photo Professional software program, that is free with your camera.  You can find the software on the Canon support site for your camera model.  That will enable you to control the file conversion process and you can do some edits if you need to.

cheers, TREVOR

Thanks Trevor.  I’ll give that a try.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements