cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Crop question for Lightroom 6

ilzho
Rising Star

Ok, I apologize as this is a basic question, but when cropping, I do not need my images to be a particular size, but I do not want any distortion.

I do not think I'm getting any.

Is there anything wrong or different in cropping a image with the lock on and Aspect as an Original?

9 REPLIES 9

TTMartin
Authority

@ilzho wrote:

Ok, I apologize as this is a basic question, but when cropping, I do not need my images to be a particular size, but I do not want any distortion.

I do not think I'm getting any.

Is there anything wrong or different in cropping a image with the lock on and Aspect as an Original?


Changing the aspect ratio when cropping will not distort the photo. 

Ok, thank you...


@TTMartin wrote:

@ilzho wrote:

Ok, I apologize as this is a basic question, but when cropping, I do not need my images to be a particular size, but I do not want any distortion.

I do not think I'm getting any.

Is there anything wrong or different in cropping a image with the lock on and Aspect as an Original?


Changing the aspect ratio when cropping will not distort the photo. 


But, keep in mind there are certain ratios that are more appealing to the eye. 

 

Google 'Golden Ratio' for more information on that.

Thanks, I just added 1.618 x 1 in my listing, 

I took pictures of a band last night in an outdoor stage so I have lots of pictures to practice on.

Food for thought.  A 90 minute video from B&H on how to use Lightroom.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRv5_T0my9k

 

I gained a better understanding of some of the settings, but more importantly how they interact with one another: i.e. B&W.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."


@ilzho wrote:

Thanks, I just added 1.618 x 1 in my listing, 

I took pictures of a band last night in an outdoor stage so I have lots of pictures to practice on.


2X3 is usually considerd close enough. But, sure why not.

 

The crop is locked to make you, by default, select from crops that match commonly available print sizes; eg: 4 x 6, 5 x 7, 8 x 10, etc....  You can unlock and make an image that is not one of those sizes but it will not be easy to work with if you want to make a print.  It can also be an issue if you want to create a photo calendar, holiday card or a photo album if it has a matte layout that uses standard photo sizes.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks I'll watch it.

 

One question is when exporting photos, the 'Output Sharpening' is unchecked.

If I leave it unchecked, will my sharpening in PP still be exported? or should this be checked?

I'm finding 2 different answers online.


@ilzho wrote:

Thanks I'll watch it.

 

One question is when exporting photos, the 'Output Sharpening' is unchecked.

If I leave it unchecked, will my sharpening in PP still be exported? or should this be checked?

I'm finding 2 different answers online.


The one on export is global sharpening on top of the other sharpening you have applied.

Announcements

08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 300
08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 500
07/28/2022: New firmware version 1.2.1 is available for EOS-R3
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.6.0 is available for EOS-R5
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.6.0 is available for EOS-R6
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.1.0 is available for EOS-R7
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.1.0 is available for EOS-R10
07/14/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1 is available for CR-X300
07/01/2022: New firmware version 1.3.0 is available for PowerShot PICK
06/30/2022: Service Notice: EOS 70D: Error 70 or Error 80
06/10/2022: Service Notice:UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.3.2 is available for PowerShot G7 X Mark III
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3 is available for EOS M50 Mark II
05/31/2022: Did someone SAY Badges?
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS-C500 Mark II
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C300 Mark III
05/10/2022: Keep your Canon gear in optimal condition with a Canon Maintenance Service
05/05/2022: We are excited to announce that we have refreshed the ranking scale within the community!
04/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1.1 is available for EOS R5 C
03/23/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C70
02/09/2022: Share Your Photos is back!
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.6.1 is available for EOS-1DX Mark III
01/19/2022: READY FOR ANYTHING EOS-R5 C
01/13/2022: Community Update. We will be retiring the legacy profile avatars on 01/20/2022. Click this link to read more.
01/05/2022: Welcome to CES 2022!
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.3.0 is available for Mount Adapter EF-EOS R 0.71x