cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Crop question for Lightroom 6

ilzho
Rising Star

Ok, I apologize as this is a basic question, but when cropping, I do not need my images to be a particular size, but I do not want any distortion.

I do not think I'm getting any.

Is there anything wrong or different in cropping a image with the lock on and Aspect as an Original?

9 REPLIES 9

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@ilzho wrote:

Ok, I apologize as this is a basic question, but when cropping, I do not need my images to be a particular size, but I do not want any distortion.

Is there anything wrong or different in cropping a image with the lock on and Aspect as an Original?

Changing the aspect ratio when cropping will not distort the photo. 

Ok, thank you...

@TTMartin wrote:

@ilzho wrote:

Changing the aspect ratio when cropping will not distort the photo. 

But, keep in mind there are certain ratios that are more appealing to the eye. 

Google 'Golden Ratio' for more information on that.

Thanks, I just added 1.618 x 1 in my listing, 

I took pictures of a band last night in an outdoor stage so I have lots of pictures to practice on.

Food for thought.  A 90 minute video from B&H on how to use Lightroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRv5_T0my9k

I gained a better understanding of some of the settings, but more importantly how they interact with one another: i.e. B&W.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@ilzho wrote:

Thanks, I just added 1.618 x 1 in my listing, 

I took pictures of a band last night in an outdoor stage so I have lots of pictures to practice on.

2X3 is usually considerd close enough. But, sure why not.

The crop is locked to make you, by default, select from crops that match commonly available print sizes; eg: 4 x 6, 5 x 7, 8 x 10, etc....  You can unlock and make an image that is not one of those sizes but it will not be easy to work with if you want to make a print.  It can also be an issue if you want to create a photo calendar, holiday card or a photo album if it has a matte layout that uses standard photo sizes.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks I'll watch it.

One question is when exporting photos, the 'Output Sharpening' is unchecked.

If I leave it unchecked, will my sharpening in PP still be exported? or should this be checked?

I'm finding 2 different answers online.

@ilzho wrote:

Thanks I'll watch it.

One question is when exporting photos, the 'Output Sharpening' is unchecked.

If I leave it unchecked, will my sharpening in PP still be exported? or should this be checked?

I'm finding 2 different answers online.

The one on export is global sharpening on top of the other sharpening you have applied.

Announcements