cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of lightning trigger with the Canon R6

Sborg
Contributor

I have shot lightning in the past with my 7D mii and a lightning trigger.  Am now having problems using the same trigger with my R6.  The trigger fires the shutter but the lightning isn't captured. I have varied my shutter speed from 1/5 to 1/15.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Have you messed with the sensitivity? I set my MIOPS (with the R5) just barley over ambient light. Just a thought.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I have set the sensitivity higher than normal just to catch all the lightning, bolts and otherwise.  I've seen bolts and the shutter fires, a picture is taken but there is no lightning in the pic.  

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This is a guess from my limited knowledge - mechanical shutter or electronic shutter?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Mechanical, same as I used with the 7D.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I’ve never tried to use one of those devices, either.  One of the major differences between the 7D Mark II and the R6 is the latter has the ability to compensate for flickering lights.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi, 

Hi. I had the same problem that while the earlier lightning trigger worked with both the Canon 7D mk I camera and the Canon 6D mk I camera, but using Canon R6 it was not possible to get thunderstorm images using a lightning triger. According to internet available information shutter lag times: 7D mkI (Prefocused) 0.061 s, 6D mkI (Prefocused) 0.059 s and R6 Mechanical Shutter 0.081 s and Silent Electronic Shutter 0.050 s (also 0.050 s with first-curtain electronic shutter option). Thus, at least for the R6 body (I think this is similar for other RF cameras also), there is hope to get thunderstorm photos using lightning trigger than to use Silent Electronic Shutter or first-curtain electronic shutter but there is one more thing to consider. According to Canon EOS R6 Review & Sample Image Files by Ken Rockwell 50ms shutter lag won't work with flash, HDR, multiple exposures, Multi Shot Noise Reduction, AEB, HDR PQ, anti-flicker, Dual Pixel RAW shooting or Digital Lens Optimizer [High]. So if you want to use lightning trigger in Canon RF mount cameras successfully you need to use Silent Electronic Shutter or first-curtain electronic shutter and you need to check flash, HDR, multiple exposures, Multi Shot Noise Reduction, AEB, HDR PQ, anti-flicker, Dual Pixel RAW shooting or Digital Lens Optimizer [High] settings in your camera and change these settings as advised to get use of 0.050 s shutter lag!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements