cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on LEE 100mm filter system vs screw-on filters?

rs-eos
Elite

I currently use B+W brand filters.  And, since I only use two lenses (EF 50mm f/1.2L and EF 135mm f/2L), I got lucky in that both make use of 72mm filters.  Other than a clear filter, which I've purchased three of (one for each lens plus a backup), I only needed to get one CP and one set of ND (3, 6 and 10-stop stregths).

When moving to mirrorless (whenever the EOS R5 Mark II comes out), I'll be picking up the RF 50mm f/1.2L and RF 135mm f/1.8L.  But they will use 77mm and 82mm filters respectively.

For clear filters, I'm definitely sticking with the B+W screw-on filters for the new lenses.

I thought about using a step-up ring system so that I would only need one set of CP and ND.  However, I began looking at the LEE 100mm filter system which would achive the same.   The cost right now of an equivalent LEE 100mm sysstem is fairly even between a full set of B+W 77mm filters plus a full set of B+W 82mm filters.   It would be more expensive if going the step-up-ring option with B+W though.

One area where either the step-up or LEE 100mm option would pay dividends is if adding a third lens.  I may eventually add a 100mm f/2.8L Macro which uses 67mm.

Finally, I have never needed to yet use graduated ND filters, but do see their appeal.

Anyone have any thoughts on the LEE system? The only potential con I've heard of is that some light can leak in through the holder itself (though I don't have any details yet on how bad that would be).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
0 REPLIES 0
Announcements