cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tablet won't read my card reader

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

This is just a mild frustration, and I'm just trying to nail down the cause for my own benefit.

I'm using a Samsung S9 FE tablet. The card reader is by XCellon. It has a full SD slot and a micro SD slot (which I don't use anyway since I don't have a micro SD cards.

The card reader works just fine in my laptop, and the USB cable connected to an OTG cable works just fine when downloading images directly from my camera/

But last night, I took the SDXC card out of my camera and put into a card reader, attached the USB end of the card reader cable into my OTC cable and plugged that into the port on my tablet.

No dice. The tablet was not showing the card reader device at all, and I'm stumped as to why.

I read this morning that SDXC cards are not compatible with tablets. Could this be the cause?

Steve Thomas

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Does it support an external card reader?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle,

Well, I don't know. This is the only one I've got.

It is an external card card reader, and like I said, it works fine with my laptop. I wondered if it was the connection between my reader and the OTC cable that goes in my tablet. What's odd is that it works just fine if I go directly from my camera to the tablet.

Steve Thomas

normadel
Authority
Authority

What is an OTG/OTC cable?

normally,

OTC stands for On The Go. It's a short little cable that has a female USb Port on one end and a male Micro B plug on the other. I'm not sure if it's designed for all Android devices or not.

Apple uses a similar device called Lightning I think. 

It allows you to plug a USB Cable into your much smaller Micro B port on your device.

Steve Thomas

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I believe it's "on the go".

Stevet1, I suspect it might be your cable.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

I think it's the cable too, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how it would work on a direct camera to tablet transfer, but not on the card reader.

I use  it all the time to transfer photos from my camera to my tablet.

It's no big thing. I was just curious. It's got to be a compatibility question, but I wouldn't begin to know where  to look. 

Steve Thomas

Announcements