cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I invest in new lens or a canon 5D Mark IV

mless
Apprentice

I currently have a canon 760D and have a 18-55mm lens, 50mm lens and a 55-250mm. I’m looking at getting a 2nd hand 5D mark IV and I could get it for around $915USD-1200USD. Is it worth getting or is the 760D good enough and should I just get another lens instead?

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I think we need to understand your photography interests a little better.  Portraits, landscapes, sports, wildlife?  Also, do you have an actual budget?

None of your EF-S lenses will be compatible with a full frame 5D4.  They will not physically mount to the body.  It sounds like your 50 mm is the only full frame compatible lens.  

More advanced DSLR APS-C body's are the

T8i, 80D or 90D.  The 80D and 90D are more advanced and in line with the type of upgrade path you are considering.  if full frame DSLR is your goal the 5D4 is it, in the price range you mentioned above.  Note however, that Canon has discontinued development of DSLRs and investing in one now doesn't necessarily make the most sense.  

It might be wiser to invest in a APS-C mirrorless body.  The R10 or R7 would be excellent choices.  Your existing lenses could be adapted to these body's.  For full frame mirrorless your choices would be the R, RP, R8, or R6.  In addition to the advanced performance and features, full frame mirrorless cameras also allow you to use APS-C lenses on a full frame body.  EF-S lenses still have to be adapted.

Before you get excited, please understand that a full flame mirrorless body will operate in crop mode because the image circle of an APS-C based lens will not project a full size image to the camera's sensor or allow it to capture images at its full resolution.  Here's an example. Full frame sensor is 24 megapixels. Put an APS-C lens on it and captured images will only be 9.3 megapixels. This can work in some situations depending on what you want to do with your output.  However, this would need to be factored into a purchasing decision.  This is a lot of information to think about.  When you reply, please tell us more about your photography interests, how important keeping and using your existing lenses is and your actual budget.  This will help with our recommendations.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

“ It might be wiser to invest in a APS-C mirrorless body.  The R10 or R7 would be excellent choices.  Your existing lenses could be adapted to these bodies. “

I totally agree with this recommendation for this and other reasons.  All the Canon MILC bodies feature Bluetooth connectivity.  They also feature better AF systems compared to almost any Canon DSLR, including 5D4.  

The 5D4 does have higher resolution on a full frame sensor.  But the MILC bodies do have similar base ISO range.  I think images captured by a 5D4 compared to an R10, with both using your current 50mm lens, would be almost indistinguishable at ISO settings of 800 or lower.  Maybe even higher.  You would have to zoom in really close to notice any significant differences.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 5D4 is an excellent camera body, although it is an older model.  It is an excellent upgrade path from a 760D camera body.  As previously noted, your EF-S mount lenses will not mount onto a full frame DSLR.  It also lacks Bluetooth connectivity, which is almost ubiquitous in today’s cameras.

Using the used price for the 5D4 that you cited, I would recommend the R10 with the Canon EF/RF Mount Adapter with Control Ring.  Do not buy third party mount adapters.  

If you are “set” on moving to a full frame DSLR camera body, then I would recommend 6D2 over the 5D4 for the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS.  Or go with the R8 with the mount adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Using the used price for the 5D4 that you cited, I would recommend the R10 with the Canon EF/RF Mount Adapter with Control Ring."

I am not in sync with all the advice above. First the 5D Mk IV is an excellent camera that no R series is going to best by much and possibly for your needs not at all. All the new bells and whistles are great if you need them and use them. Not so much if you don't. Make sense? However, if you go 5D4 you can't use your lenses so new lenses are in order so that makes more sense to buy an R series as an upgrade. Again, however, your current glass isn't worth adapting so again you need new lenses but make sure they are RF lenses. If you are serious about upgrading then upgrade but don't half way do it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements