cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement batteries for older cameras: SX50 (NB-10L)

778B
Contributor

I have searched several online platforms, such as Amazon, Ebay, AliExpress, BH, and others, for a replacement battery for my camera. However, I have found that the non-OEM batteries available are of low quality and have many negative reviews. They do not perform well and they lose their charge quickly, either due to poor manufacturing or they're old stock.

I have also checked the official Canon website and they do have the NB-10L battery in stock, but it is very expensive and I have no way of knowing when it was produced. I have tried to contact Canon support to ask them about this, but I have not been able to find a direct chat or email option on their website. This has caused me a lot of frustration and dissatisfaction. I do not understand why they do not provide better customer service.

My SX50 camera is in excellent condition and I would hate to discard it. However, I am also wondering if it is worth keeping it, considering the high cost of batteries and performance issues. On the other hand, I really enjoy the camera's zoom feature and that is what I use it for most of the time.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions on where to buy OEM new Canon batteries and/or how to reach Canon support.

15 REPLIES 15

FWIW, I have both original and 3rd party NB-10L batteries, and none of them appear to have dates printed on them, as opposed to my LP-6 series batteries that do.  The 3rd party one I have actually work just as well as the OEM units.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ROFMAO.

You got me there. I must confess; I was just fibbing. There are no pictures with a date stamp to show. I made up the whole thing, similar to the false accusations thrown at Trump to tarnish his image. Geesh. 🙄

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I just checked and found that B&H claim to have them in stock, you might want to check that out.

Failing that, given that you don't seem to have any success getting OEM batteries for your SX50 camera, I would suggest that a decent 3rd party one is better than no battery at all.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Has this camera reached the end of its life cycle?  I do not know of other devices that would use this specific battery, but is possible that they are no longer being produced.  I would not be surprised if batteries that are currently for sale are nearly as old as the camera itself.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As far as I know the SX60 which uses the same battery, is still supported.  Certainly B&H listed the battery as available when I looked an hour or so ago.

cheers, TREVOR

That's my impression as well. The camera model is at least 10 years old. Canon being evasive causes me great suspicion. 

It's too bad, the camera itself will be recycled. What a waste.

Announcements