cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Pictures are Horrible with Extender RF1.4x

Laney93
Contributor

I have the R6 using the 100-500 rf lens. The pictures are great. But when i add the 1.4 extender the pictures are horrible. Never had this problem before the rf series.. is there something i need to do on my setup???

28 REPLIES 28

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

John is correct.  The TC cannot be attached unless the lens is zoomed to 300mm or beyond.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

i understand that..thats not my issue

EpicMike
Apprentice

Also don't forget to bump up the iso a little bit due to the fact that the tele converter increases the minimum f-stop by one stop I think.  So that's going to cut down the amount of light that the sensor can gather at that frame rate.  Are you shooting that on manual or on Tv mode?

i do that as well..i shoot manual..i've been shooting for years..definitely not claiming i know everything by no means but i've been doing this for several years and this issue has just got me stumped..i've seen where others are having problems but then i see some great pics with it too

i shoot full manual..i know to bump up iso..i used one before i switched to the new RF and never had any issues..these are very blurry no matter what i do

esimioni
Apprentice

Were you able to solve the softness problem?

I keep reading everywhere how amazing the RF 1.4x extender is and how it almost doesn't affect IQ. There are several very sharp pictures posted by people using the RF 100-500mm + RF 1.4x, but I just can't make it work.

I had the R5 until 2 week ago, then switched to an R7 because of the cropped sensor (wildlife hobbyist here).
I was never able to get sharp pictures with the extender with neither of the cameras. Without the extender, sharp images, with extender, very soft and/or blurry and/or out of focus images. Always!

Tried almost every focus options on the cameras, with and without stabilizer, with and without a tripod, always the same result.

In the beginning I was almost certain that it was my lack of technique and knowledge of the equipment, after one year I'm starting to think I might have a defective extender.

I’m having this EXACT same issue with my 1.4X and R5. Shooting both manual and Aperture priority. It’s quite ridiculous. 

@brantakespics wrote:

I’m having this EXACT same issue with my 1.4X and R5. Shooting both manual and Aperture priority. It’s quite ridiculous. 

Hi,

With a tripod or handheld?

What gear are you using, R5 and... ?   

The OP never did provide photos.  Would you like to provide a few (links) with EXIF data

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I am having the same issue with the 1.4 extender and the RF 100-500mm.  I have tried changing settings thinking that I am making the mistake on my camera settings, but it does not seem to be that.  It seems to be a hit and miss for me, especially at maximum zoom of 700mm..  I am into wildlife photography.  I find that, the busier the background is, the worse the focus is on the subject.  If I shoot a subject that has long grass or bush behind it, it seems to not focus on the subject correctly even though I am using eye detection for animals.   I think that the focus is on the eye, but when I review the photos on PC then I can see that it did not focus ont he eye at all.  If the background of a bird is the sky, where it is clear, I tend to get a sharp focus.  I also find that after having focused on a subject at 700mm and I now want to focus on something closer, i have to manually adjust the focus to get the new subject in focus.  Often by this time the subject may have moved or flown off!  Very frustrating.  

Please can you help me resolve this issue.

i talked to a friend just last week and he said he had the same problem then calibrated it and been good every since..maybe that all we need to do..who knows

Announcements