cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone for R5

Automaton25
Apprentice

Hello Everyone,

I have an R5 and have recently started taking some video. I have been looking at microphones but most of them seem to require the 3.5mm jack is used. I shot in bad weather a lot so I'm worried about having the ports open. Is the camera still protected with this jack in use? I haven't found any microphones that use the hot shoe for a connection, except for one which says it's not compatible with the R5.

Any decent options out there?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

As far as I am aware, you need a mic with a 3.5mm output. The R5's hotshoe is first gen, not multi-function.  I'm also not aware of wireless or BT solutions for the R5's audio.  With the port cover open, some of the cameras water resistance is diminished.  The camera can do very well in wet weather, but I'd practice good judgement.  

Video is secondary for me, so let's see if anyone else has something to add.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Automaton25
Apprentice

Video is certainly secondary for me as well. I was really hoping for a hot shoe option, but it sounds like that isn't going to happen.  Hopefully someone can chime in on the weather protection with the 3.5mm plugged in.

Announcements