cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filters and filter adapter for Powershot SX70 SH

Bojanen
Contributor

OK I am a brand new Canon owner 😁!!

I just got a new Powershot SX70 SH four days ago.

I have been using many types of cameras for years, but never a Canon. I am doing a lot of reading learning how to use this new high tech piece of equipment. However I am stuck on one of the simplest things: how to put a filter on the lens (UV just to start). The camera doesn't show anywhere the lens diameter so I have no idea what to purchase. I am reading that I need a filter adapter and then I'll be able to screw on a 67 mm filter. But why 67mm? This lens is at best 49mm wide.!! Can anyone help me explaining what is needed?

My goal is to be able to use various filters, a lens hood and also to put on a (I guess with a different size) lens cap.

Thank you.

Bojanen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Most likely because of potential vignetting at wide angle setting. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

I had the SX40, 50 and 60 cameras, and I got an adapter for the lens that gave me a ring for a 58mm filter that was a lot more compact on the front of the lens than the 67mm one.  I got it off eBay, it's aluminium and fitted fine - it came from China and cost me about $10US at the time, which is a while ago. 

With a 58mm UV or even a slim CPL filter there was no vignetting of any of my photos - even at the widest angle of 21mm Equivalent - just don't stack filters, which is not a brilliant idea in any case.  The  following is an example taken with the adapter and filter attached as shot.
SX60HS@21mm equivalentSX60HS@21mm equivalent

If you do a search on the website: "filter adapter for canon sx60" a similar unit came up first on the list.  I still have a spare one here actually.

Note: you will also need a standard 58mm Lens Cap to go in front of the filter, as the original Canon SX lens cap is not contoured to fit a filter thread.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements