cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R8 Battery life is ridiculously short

Eaglesnest
Enthusiast

The battery life on my new R8 is ridiculously short. After a full charge, it shows low battery power after just a few of shots. Is there any reason why? Thank you for the tips. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In case your question about removing the battery from your camera when its not in use wasn't answered, I use the following as a guide.  

The longest I leave a battery in my camera is about 7 days.  If I'm not going to use my camera within that period, the battery comes out.  I never store a camera with a battery installed long term. 

If you aren't going to use a battery for an extended period, charge it to 50% or 70% and store it that way.  Cool dry place.  

Heat, my camera or lenses would never be subjected to a trunk, car interior or temps above 105*.  Either air conditioning or its with me.  If I was in the desert, or direct sunlight it would be shaded. 

If its too hot for me, its too hot for my gear.   Its a camera and I'm going to use it, but I'd try to protect it from extremes as best I could, taking reasonable precautions while enjoying it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

@Eaglesnest wrote:

I tried "View finder" only. Not in favor for that. Which is better Auto 1 or Auto 2?

Which is best to use is entirely a matter of personal preference.  Experiment.

I believe #2 will only use the EVF, provided you keep the rear display fully closed and turned away from you.  This is how I usually store the camera.  When you open the display the exposure and AF point will switch to the rear screen.  

I like the “Live” version of the [Q] button display, without any sensor image.  It is a habit I developed from my using DSLRs, instead of using the tiny LCD display on the top of the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In case your question about removing the battery from your camera when its not in use wasn't answered, I use the following as a guide.  

The longest I leave a battery in my camera is about 7 days.  If I'm not going to use my camera within that period, the battery comes out.  I never store a camera with a battery installed long term. 

If you aren't going to use a battery for an extended period, charge it to 50% or 70% and store it that way.  Cool dry place.  

Heat, my camera or lenses would never be subjected to a trunk, car interior or temps above 105*.  Either air conditioning or its with me.  If I was in the desert, or direct sunlight it would be shaded. 

If its too hot for me, its too hot for my gear.   Its a camera and I'm going to use it, but I'd try to protect it from extremes as best I could, taking reasonable precautions while enjoying it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements