cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R8 Battery life is ridiculously short

Eaglesnest
Enthusiast

The battery life on my new R8 is ridiculously short. After a full charge, it shows low battery power after just a few of shots. Is there any reason why? Thank you for the tips. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In case your question about removing the battery from your camera when its not in use wasn't answered, I use the following as a guide.  

The longest I leave a battery in my camera is about 7 days.  If I'm not going to use my camera within that period, the battery comes out.  I never store a camera with a battery installed long term. 

If you aren't going to use a battery for an extended period, charge it to 50% or 70% and store it that way.  Cool dry place.  

Heat, my camera or lenses would never be subjected to a trunk, car interior or temps above 105*.  Either air conditioning or its with me.  If I was in the desert, or direct sunlight it would be shaded. 

If its too hot for me, its too hot for my gear.   Its a camera and I'm going to use it, but I'd try to protect it from extremes as best I could, taking reasonable precautions while enjoying it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

It is possible that  my macro lens is the older version.

I will disable the preview entirely and see what happens. Thanks.

Can you please list the FULL NAME of the lens you have. Since Canon has released multiple different versions of it over the years. The name of the lens can be found on the outer ring.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

CANON MACRO LENS EF100 mm 1:2.8 L IS USM

is that what you mean?

I have several other Canon lenses.

Yes so you don't own the original version that has an Arc Form Drive AF Motor. You have the most current version of the lens. Which is the L version with IS. What other lenses do you have. Please post the full name of those lenses too.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

1. CANON ZOOM LENS EF 100-400 mm 1:4.5-5.6 L IS ULTRASONIC

2. CANON LENS TS-E 24mm 1:3.5 L

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Bear in mind that how you store and use Li batteries can affect their life.  For example, if you store a lithium battery fully charged, ad let it get hot -- like on the back window of a car on a hot day -- you can DRASTICALLY reduce its life.  Like, completely kill it in a few hours.

You mean "let get it hot" is to leave the battery in camera when it's not in use? Should I remove the battery and store it somewhere else (in the camera bag) and put it back when ready to shoot?

It's not about whether the battery is in the camera, it's literally how hot it gets.  Leaving a charged laptop or camera in the sunlight in a car on a hot day is a bad idea; leaving just the batteries, if they're at 100%, would be just as bad.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You disable the sensor that switches the exposure display from the rear screen to the OVF when you bring your eye up to the OVF.  Except, there is no specific setting that disables it by name.  

Use this setting to tell the camera to not use the rear screen for exposure display.  This will save you a lot of battery life.  The MILC body “behave” like a DSLR, which means use must look through the viewfinder in order to see the exposure and AF point display.  However, you can enable/disable exposure display on the rear screen any time you wich by pressing [INFO].

9CE5665A-068B-47EC-9BDA-531C3D791E44.jpeg

To repeat, you want to minimize the use of the rear display as much as possible, which can help extend your battery life.  If you are using your camera and macro lens in a controlled indoor environment, then you may want to consider using a Canon AC/DC adapter.  

The AC/DC adapter actually comes in two parts.  There is the 120 VAC to DC converter, which is used with just about all camera bodies.  And then there is the battery eliminator, which is a module that is the same size and shape as your camera’s battery.  The battery eliminator needed can vary from one camera to the next, depending upon what battery your camera uses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I tried "View finder" only. Not in favor for that. Which is better Auto 1 or Auto 2?

Announcements