cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D Battery Charger Blinking

TimL
Apprentice

I have not used my 7D for a few months. I removed the battery and put on charger. 3 blinks per second. As per the Canon online instructions I repeated this process several times - all with the same result.

I am assuming I need a new battery?

If so, is the wasabi generic battery a good option to the higher price Canon battery?

Thank you.

Tim

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think you are referring to the three fast blinks of the orange LED, which is supposed to indicate some issue with the battery that is preventing it from charging.

You could also have a faulty charger, too.  I’ve been experiencing issues with the LP-E6 family of batteries and their chargers for a couple of years now.  I’ve been experiencing a LOT of bad recharge cycles where I get the flashing light.  I’ve purchased replacement Canon chargers, Canon batteries, and Dr. Watson batteries.  Never tried Wasabi, though.  

I am not longer certain if have had bad chargers, batteries, or both.  What I have found by a complete accident is that a battery left in the charger while the three orange flashes are going will charge up.  And, the camera seems to think they are fully charged, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

TimL
Apprentice

Thank you for your help. I have been able to charge the battery but have still not had the green indicator. OK for now but ..........

And I have ordered a wasabi battery. Best case it will be my backup.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

So just to be clear, the charger never displays the solid (green) indicator? It will be in the 3 blinks per second effectively forever?  Three blinks though should indicate approx 75% charge.

Assuming that when you put the battery in your camera, there's no power?

I would first try a new battery.  Though I could only recommend using Canon batteries (I don't use third-party ones). 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

normadel
Authority
Authority

Wasabi is one of the best of the aftermarket battery makers. I have some. If you can't/don't want to spring for a genuine Canon battery, go with Wasabi. Watson is also highly rated, and B&H sells their LP-E6NH, $20.00 less than Canon's.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think you are referring to the three fast blinks of the orange LED, which is supposed to indicate some issue with the battery that is preventing it from charging.

You could also have a faulty charger, too.  I’ve been experiencing issues with the LP-E6 family of batteries and their chargers for a couple of years now.  I’ve been experiencing a LOT of bad recharge cycles where I get the flashing light.  I’ve purchased replacement Canon chargers, Canon batteries, and Dr. Watson batteries.  Never tried Wasabi, though.  

I am not longer certain if have had bad chargers, batteries, or both.  What I have found by a complete accident is that a battery left in the charger while the three orange flashes are going will charge up.  And, the camera seems to think they are fully charged, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TimL
Apprentice

Thank you for your help. I have been able to charge the battery but have still not had the green indicator. OK for now but ..........

And I have ordered a wasabi battery. Best case it will be my backup.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements