cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF lens extender recommendations

bbbacb
Apprentice

Hi, novice photographer here. I have a Rebel T7 and a Canon EF 24-70 1:2.8 L USM lens. I'm looking for a compatible extender. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

How you changed the optics by adding teleconverters in-between the lens and the image sensor. So the light path would be different than if no teleconverter was used. The image sensor won't gather as much light either. Because of the teleconverter(s) added. So you at least lose one stop of light. Or more depending on the teleconverter used. Therefore a higher ISO will have to be used instead of a lower one. Which can increase noise in a picture.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

To further and expand on Mr. Demetrius reply it all depends on what you want. What are your quality and IQ requirements. What are you good with. The sample you offered would not be what I strive for and it is why I almost never, 99% of the time, will use a tel-con. I don't recommend them but if you are satisfied with what you get more power to you and shoot away.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

To further and expand on Mr. Demetrius reply it all depends on what you want. What are your quality and IQ requirements. What are you good with. The sample you offered would not be what I strive for and it is why I almost never, 99% of the time, will use a tel-con. I don't recommend them but if you are satisfied with what you get more power to you and shoot away.

When the purpose of the photo is documentation, I think it is better to get the photo than not. If one cannot get closer, then the choice may be between using the teleconverter one is carrying or not getting the photo.

I strive for the best image quality I can get under the circumstances limited by the equipment I am carrying, the movement of the subject, the light, possibility of getting closer to the subject, the likelihood of seeing the same subject again soon, and also limited by my lack of skill. What quality and IQ do you require?

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

That's why I say everybody is different. We all have different goals, different budgets, talents and ability and even different opportunities. Again if what you are getting fits your needs I am all in for you. People that sell their work have different situations. Once I retired I thought I would be able to get out and shoot stuff I want as a hobby but that hasn't come to fact yet. I do get some time though for walks at the local parks and get a snap or two.

gull.jpgduck.jpg

EB

Nice photos!

Sometimes I also get a chance to make a portrait:

American White Pelicans (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos) at Salt Plains National Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma, United States on September 20, 2023American White Pelicans (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos) at Salt Plains National Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma, United States on September 20, 2023

Distance to model only about 50 meters, but model measures nearly 3 meters from wingtip to wingtip. 😀

EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +2x III, F/13, ISO 250, shutter 1/400, reduced to 75% for upload

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The best thing is you are out doing it. Don’t dwell on what others say, do or use. That doesn’t mean a hill of beans; all that matters is, it pleases you.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements