cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DJI Rs3 Pro Gimbal and R5c with latest firmware

wobbleman99
Rising Star

I received a DJI Rs3 pro gimbal 2 days ago with the hope of using it with my R5c that has the latest firmware.  The DJI site claims that the Rs3 pro is compatible with the R5c, but it appears that they'd arrived at that conclusion with an earlier R5c firmware version, and I just wasted 2 days trying to get the camera and gimbal to communicate with no success.  Some have said that the camera must be set to "remote" but, unlike the R5, there is no remote setting on the R5c.  I have tried a host of usb c to usb c cables, all to no avail.  Has anyone with this setup managed to get it to work, and by work I mean, get it to, at the very least, trigger start and stop record?

13 REPLIES 13

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Ron,

Greetings.  Its been a while.  Sorry to hear about the RS3 Pro problems.

Looks as if they did test with the shipping FW

Camera Firmware: V1.0.0.1 ;
Camera Control Cable: ①USB-C TO USB-C ;
HDMI Cable: ⑩HDMI D TO C .

I submitted a feature request as well.

shadowsports_0-1685983265212.png

Hopefully DJI revisits it.  The gimbal may need a FW update?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

I had not been on this site for quite sometime, and had not seen your post about the Tascam mic adapter. I have not had any issues with it as along as it is self-powered with AA batteries.  The DJI gimbal, however, was a disappointment.  Due to various health issues, I am no longer very steady on my feet, and had hoped that the gimbal would to some extent compensate, and I think that it would have if it had worked with the R5c.  But I must admit, that due to the unsteadiness I have not been using the R5c much at all, and have resorted to my C300 MK III on a tripod.  As for other hand held gimbal options, there do not appear to be any that will work with the R5c, and that is surprising, given the fact that the camera is primarily video.  But some people have managed to get the Rs3 Pro to work with the R5c, and I suspect that the problem that I and others have encountered may be firmware related, either Canon or DJI.  Additionally, I find it odd, since the "photo" side of the R5c is purportedly of R5 origin, that the R5c does not offer the "remote" menu option whereas the R5 does.  But, then again, it didn't until recently offer the ability to mute the internal mic.  So, one has to wonder what the heck the Canon software engineers are or were thinking.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Ron,

Hope you are feeling better and wishing you a speedy recovery.  I did something to my back about 3 weeks ago.  Took a few days to show up.  Still paying for it.

Some new FW for the C300 MkIII, R5 C (and others) should be released in 3 - 5 weeks.

R5 C - Firmware Summer 2023 - Canon Community

That gimbal is something else.  I watched some videos for it and it looks great.  I know you do your research.  Hopefully DJI can address the issues you're having.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the good wishes.  I tested the R5c—firmware 1.3.0.1— with the Tascam adapter along with a Rode NTG5 and it works well, powered with 2 AA batteries. I don't know what kind of problems others have reported, but this combo is fine.  Pages 1-3 of the audio menu are still greyed out, but the Tascam has its own controls and filters.

I received a response from DJI saying that they have passed my email on to the "appropriate" department, and we'll see what that, if anything, results in.  If they can fix the connectivity issue I would buy it again, as the Rs3 has already been returned.  But the short time that I had with the gimbal had proven to me that it would serve to compensate for my unsteadiness.

Best regards,

Ron

I received a condescending reply from DJI Tech Support implying, by requesting a video of the setup, that I had somehow failed to use the R5c's only USB-c port.  They'd completely ignored the question about the potential for firmware incompatibility, so I do not expect a positive outcome. My plan was to repurchase an Rs3 Pro if the connectivity issue could be resolved, but now I am doubtful that it will take place.

Hi Rick, 

I do not expect that the anticipated new firmware will resolve the gimbal problem, which appears to be more of a DJI issue than Canon.  That said, I was in video mode with the R5c yesterday, not recording, but searching the menus for almost 20 minutes when a fully charged battery was, according to the camera, depleted and the camera shut down.  I restarted with the same battery but in photo mode, and the camera indicated that it still had a 38% charge. Hopefully the new firmware will address that problem.  I can say that my S1h has a much, much better battery life. 

wobbleman99
Rising Star

This is a followup to the ongoing DJU RS3 Pro saga.

I received the second RS3 Pro yesterday and the experience was no better than with the first iteration.  I spent 2 hours on the phone with a barely intelligible person in some other part of the world who knew only what she had printed in her script, so, no help.  She insisted that the R5c had to have the release version of its firmware, which is a no go since there have been several updates since then.  And with that in mind, I am convinced, perhaps wrongly so, that the problem is related to the R5c's firmware that is probably not compatible with that of the Rs3 Pro.  I have messaged the few people who have claimed that their R5c works with the gimbal, but not a single one has gotten back to me with their firmware version.  The good news is, however, that the RS3 Pro works with my Panasonic S1h, and since I have not been doing 8k, the S1h's 4k output will be just fine. I am now considering selling the mint condition R5c, a pile of batteries, the RF 24-70mm lens and a host of accessories.

To say that I am disappointed would be an understatement, but I think that it is DJI that has dropped the ball, since they have not bothered to test their gimbal with the R5c's latest firmware.

wobbleman99
Rising Star

Hello,

I am still engaged in a back and forth with DJI support that has resulted in a lot of email print but no solutions. They seem to be stuck with the notion that I have not setup properly and are ignoring the possibility of a firmware incompatibility which seems more likely.  I have essentially given up with the Canon R5c and have gone back to my S1h that works splendidly with the DJI RS3 Pro.  I had purchased the R5c to act as a 'B' camera for my C300 Mk III, but the S1h can perform the same task, albeit with a little more work in post for color.  But I must admit that it has a much better battery life than the Canon, and my only gripe is with the menus that are somewhat convoluted and the fact that it is heavier than the R5c.  But on the plus side it does take Leica SL lenses, and I have a large collection of same.

Have you contacted support by phone so they can document this and, if necessary, put in a ticket? Help is at 1-855-246-3367, seven days a week, 24 Hours a day (for cinema products). 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements