cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon extender 2x mk ll on Canon 6D produces black images - SOLVED

Starlight90
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I have a Canon 6D camera and 2 2x mk ll EF extenders (canon official), I have read that you can stack these extenders and get a bigger and better view of an object.

The Lens I'm working with is a  canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens with the 2 extenders, however my live view doesn't with them both attached to my camera and lens, but I can see through the view finder, after I've taken some photos of the moon just to test and observe, I go back to check to see how they came out, it's all black, like nothing was taken, just a black void.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks 

41 REPLIES 41

@Waddizzle wrote:

“ Live view reads the image off the sensor with the aperture closed down. “

Maybe.  If the exposure is set with the Aperture wide open, then Live View with ExpSIM enabled should see the same exposure as the OVF.

The problem could be that ExpSIM is running out of gas beyond a 30 second exposure.  I noticed that he mentioned a tracking mount.  The issue could be as simple as the exposure times are too long for Live View in Bulb Mode.

Negative on that theory.  My 6D displays an image Live View wtih or without ExpSIM enabled.  Except I am not using stacked teleconverters, and I am using the Mark II version of the lens.

No idea what version teleconverters the OP is using, though.  No idea what Live View is using for Tv in Bulb Mode.  It does not display a shutter speed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The original post tells what extender version he is using.

I am using canon 2 - 2x extenders mkll , I have no idea what you mean by tv in bulb mode as I use manual mode

Starlight90
Contributor

Thank you for all your replies, I shall go through each and everyone of them properly and determine my options. 

However, the equipment I currently own, none of it is cheap. But if I need to sell it all off to afford the better equipment. Then so be it. 

I sympathize with your predicament.  I really, really wish we could come up with some solution to your desire to use multiple extenders, but in all honesty, I see it as an investment that will not provide the results you want and will be a frustrating and costly effort.
Astro is a fairly specialized activity, and if you actually have the specific optic but need the adapter, then that would at least make use of your investment.  If this is something you want to specialize in, and are prepared to relinquish other equipment for the right gear, that seems like a more sound proposal.

I really wish you all the best with this and hope you get a satisfactory outcome.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Starlight90 wrote:

However, the equipment I currently own, none of it is cheap. But if I need to sell it all off to afford the better equipment. Then so be it. 

This is probably the best video I've come across about shooting astrophotography with just a camera. The guy is using an EOS RA camera, RF 85mm f/1.2, and stacking in PhotoShop. It is a very detailed tutorial and may be a bit dry at times because he goes into a lot of theory on light and what causes noise, etc. But IMO, a worthy watch even if you aren't into astrophotography. It is amazing how much detail he gets.

Here is the link.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

normadel
Authority
Authority

I see no mention of anyone actually checking the manual for the LENS.

It clearly says extenders CANNOT be used more than one at a time. Also other information regarding extender use.

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer/products/lenses/ef/ef-100-400mm-f45-56l-is-usm.html?ty...

Oddly enough, Canon USA  does not show the manual, while Canon Europe does.

You might not see it at Canon USA because it is probably no longer serviced.  But they should still have it available, IMHO.

I think he might need to adjust his exposure.  But then again, maybe not.  Live View cannot show you what a really long exposure, greater than 30 seconds, wouldl actually look like. It might with ExpSIM.  But I suspect ExpSIM runs out of gas beyond 30 seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Being in the UK, we do have some amazing sites and camera shops that the USA probably doesn't. The camera shop I spoke to who deal with canon equiptment did say the MK ll extenders can be stacked with that paticular lens. So I don't to be honest.

But can any of us really afford a £13k lens that will do the job we need it to do? 

There is an analogy about dentistry here.  A man has an aching tooth, and going to dentist after dentist they consistently tell him that he needs to have that tooth removed.  However, he continues until he finds one that says, it's ok to just leave it there.

You have asked us for advice on this issue. You have received consistent feedback, and in some cases with references to documentation from Canon, that stacking 2x extenders on your camera to get a decent image of the very dim subjects of the night sky is not a practical solution. Yet, you persevere until you find someone who claims to know, that is prepared to tell you it's OK.  Telling the forum - which has world-wide contributors, that somehow an English source is more authoritative, is dubious and irrelevant.  The physics speak for themselves.

You do this on the basis of economics but you fail to bring into the equation that you get what you pay for.  If you are as serious about astro as you suggest then you sell surplus gear (as you have suggested) save up and get the right gear.

I don't know how much it will cost you to get an adapter for the  solar scope you have but I honestly think you are persuading yourself into an inferior optical solution to get a quick result.

I honestly wish you well, but I'm pessimistic as to the results you will get.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements