cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Bag Recommendations for EOS R7

soulshine8
Apprentice

Hi -- Are there any recommendations an ideal camera bag for an EOS R7? Thank You!

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is really a matter of personal preference and depends on the lens you want to use on the camera.  Bags come in many different styles.  Holster, sling, messenger, backpack, etc.  Do you have a carry preference?  Are you looking for a bag that just holds the camera and a lens?  Do you want to pack other gear, batteries, memory cards, etc?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

soulshine8
Apprentice

Hi Rick --  I am looking for a bag that holds the camera, lens and some gear. Are there some brands that you prefer for backpack, messenger, sling styles? Thank you!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

My preferences are sling, backpack and holster in that order.  I rarely carry just one lens. 

I like the quality of LowePro.  Their sling and Protactic lines are comfy, and protective.  For holsters, most popular are Thinktank and LowePro.  The LowePro's come with multiple carry options.  Over the shoulder, cross-body, and belt.  You get all of these included.  If you buy Thinktank, you have to pay extra for their straps, etc.  Everyone has gotten into the bag/carry market.  Ruggard and Manfrotto make bags too.  Not sure how practical they are.

Once you start, you'll probably buy more than one 😂.  I have one I like for hiking (single lens).  One for day trips (multi-lens), and a backpack for travel (up to 4 lenses).  My gear never leaves me.              

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

This is helpful.  Thank you so much!

+1 on the lower. I really like the messenger bag.

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I think most of the people I know have a menagerie of bags, holsters etc. - each intended for a different set of kit and different conditions.  Really, a lot depends on your shooting conditions and the style of photography you work with.

One such is on how big the gear is - a very small camera and lens can easily be accommodated in a small bag, but for very large lenses, I tend to use a holster.  I use both LowerPro and Think Tank.  One benefit of the latter is that some of their holsters have both shoulder straps (mine came at no extra cost) and connection to a very strong hip belt, thus taking the weight completely off one's shoulders.  Also, the longer holsters can be extended via a zipper to take super long lenses - no idea if you use those but it works for me.  I use battery grips on my cameras, so if you do the same, make sure that any holster or bag will accommodate that extra bulk.

Like Rick, I also use messenger bags, although mine are from Tenba - I started using their bags 43 years ago!  The don't look particularly like camera bags and have a heap of pockets and subdivisions for everything from a tablet to cleaning kit or filters, and even pens and paper.

I less rarely use a full backpack, but do have several - including a couple of freebies from Canon and they are actually quite good. Sadly, my favourite one is no longer made, but I have it still!   A lot of the newer backpacks actually are accessed from the side that would be against one's back, and there is some merit in this as one can lay down the pack on wet or otherwise dubious ground and not have to put that side back on against one's clothes.  It's also a good security measure as someone cannot unzip the bag from behind and steal your gear.

I prefer not to have a backpack most of the time as I feel it inhibits changing gear quickly - I usually have a holster with a lens and body, and another lens and body in my hands, so I can swap fast.  There is one unit from LowePro that is a slingback, supported over one shoulder and I can rotate that quite quickly to get to the contents without taking it off.

I always make sure that any bag or holster has a full rain cover.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements