cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cables for EOSR50

TH57
Apprentice

Hello,

I just purchased an EOSR50 and was wondering about what the best cables for connecting it to my computer. I see it has a usbC and a mini hdmi. I'm thinking the mini hdmi out could be for tethering for either webcam use and possibly downloading photos? USBC would be for downloading photos.

Manly I'm wanting to connect and download photos but the web cam aspect could be cool, too.

Any links for these?

thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Stephen

Links to third-party sites are not allowed.

You can find all of the official accessories for your EOS R50 here: https://canon.us/R50accessories 

Please be sure to review the Community Guidelines: https://canon.us/CommunityGuidelines 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Canon's streaming software uses the USB-C.

You use the USB-C for transferring data and tethering.

HDMI would be used for displaying on an external monitor or HDMI capture on your Computer

**(with a special HDMI capture device)

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

TH57,

If you want to do a wired connection from your computer to your camera to download photos, you use your USB connection. Your manual should give you recommendations for the cable to use.

I have always had good luck following the recommendations in my manual. Sometimes, people who try and use third-party cables have not had good luck.

Steve Thomas

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

USB is a data connection.  You would use this for things like transferring files, including photos / videos.  (Although I personally would transfer files by plugging the memory card into my computer, using a card reader as required.)

HDMI is a video signal connection.  You can use this for sending a video signal to another device, like a monitor or an external recorder.  This will show basically what's on your camera's LCD, or whatever video you're currently shooting.  It can not be used for transferring things you've previously shot.  The video signal can be captured on a computer for webcam or streaming, if you have an HDMI capture device.  You can buy these online quite cheaply; mine cost about £20.  Note that if your computer has an HDMI port, that is almost certainly an output, not an input.

Announcements