cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Grip for EOS R5

peopleschamp
Contributor

I currently own the battery grip for the EOS R5 and I noticed that although there are two batteries in the grip only one is registering a shutter count. Even though both batteries seem to be draining. Is this normal?

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are both batteries from Canon, or the same manufacturer?    Many third party batteries do not report “health” and other data to the camera

A battery grip works by alternating which battery is being used, so that the two batteries are drained at close to the same rate.  The battery switching is done automatically by the firmware in the camera, not the grip.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

They are both Canon original batteries.IMG_2897.jpg

it could right on the door step for switching.  My DSLRs switch batteries based on discharge, not shot count.  It will use a single battery until it has drained 3-5%, and then switch to the other battery.

If you remove the battery tray and then reinsert it, that may confuse the camera firmware’s ability to switch the load evenly.  I would expect that it wouldn’t though.

Im going to take some more sample shots to see if it switches eventually. I will definitely respond back to report the outcome.

Its so crazy ... Im up to 565 on the first battery at 90%... still the second battery has 0 and is at 95%. I can't figure this out.

Second battery began to drain after first battery dropped under 90%. Now both batteries are registering shutter count as I take photos. 

@peopleschamp wrote:

Second battery began to drain after first battery dropped under 90%. Now both batteries are registering shutter count as I take photos. 

Wow.  It went all the way down to 90%?  It could be switching after a 10% drain.  That is a LOT more than my DSLRs, which switch around 5%.

I hope this means all will be well.

Yeah I'm definitely keeping an eye on it.

Announcements