cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BG-R10 Only Charging One Battery

PJMCCABE
Apprentice

When charging the batteries on my R5 the battery grip only charges one of the two that are inserted. If remove them and swap positions it will charge the other battery. I thought it was supposed thos charge both batteries when plugged into the canon charger usb port.

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I couldn't find a link to the BG-R10 user manual, but here are some notes from it:

"Using USB Power Adapter PD-E1, you can charge Battery Pack LP-E6NH or LP-E6N without removing it from the battery grip. The camera can also be powered."

and under a Caution section:

• "LP-E6NH and LP-E6N can be charged together.
  • Otherwise, you can charge a single LP-E6NH or LP-E6N battery at a time.
  • LP-E6 cannot be charged this way. No battery will be charged if LP-E6NH or LP-E6N is attached at the same time as LP-E6.
  • The battery is not charged if LP-E6NH or LP-E6N is loaded when DC Coupler DR-E6 is connected.
  • Charging stops if you operate the camera.
  • When batteries are depleted, the adapter charges them. In this case, power is not supplied to the camera."
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

None of the cautions mention apply. The right battery charging indicator light only illuminates when charging, never switches to the left indicator when the right one is fully charged.

Can I say a massive thank you for sorting out what has been a great puzzle. After reading your post I checked the combination in the grip and found one battery was an E6. I swapped it for my other E6NH and the charging light came on. I didn’t realise that having an E6 battery present would completely stop the charging process. You would think something would flag up on the display as these batteries are essentially “smart”. Thanks again, just goes to show how good the Canon community is. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Ricky's points are correct.  The BG charges one, then the other battery.  During use, one battery is discharged then the other.  This is expected.

shadowsports_0-1680534632599.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tuwimek
Apprentice

Hi, I have the same problem here. When charging via Usb-C it charges only right hand side battery, then the led blinks, the top LCD shows 'Err'. I tried various combinations with the cable, power off/on, only one works, swapping batteries over, then again the one on the right hand side is charged. Leaving just one battery on the LHS initiate charging of that battery but if both are inside, only one on the right gets charged. They discharge correctly as per manual.

Firmware R5 1.8.1, dock 1.0.0

Any advice? Please don't copy and paste text from a manual.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A few things worth mentioning.  For proper communication, the grip should be attached and removed with the camera off and the battery magazine removed from the grip.  The batteries do not charge unless the camera is off.  

Only LP-E6NH and LP-E6N batteries will charge in the grip or camera.  While you can use a LP-E6, no charging occurs if this battery is present.

Are your batteries Canon brand?  I have not tried to charge one of my Watson batteries with a OEM battery yet.  I'll see if I can try this for you tomorrow. 😃  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements