cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC Adapter AC-E6N: Is this compatible with the EOS R5?

J03_D4ncer
Contributor

Canon has this item, AC Adapter AC-E6N, listed on its website with no information other than an overview. Is this compatible with the EOS R5? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I decided to sidestep all that and stick with batteries. Canon makes other avenues inappropriate. Purchased extra batteries and a charger that utilizes a USB A male to USB micro B male charging cable. I can use that with the Anker power bank (rated at 26,800 mAh) that I already own. The Canon batteries are rated 2,130 mAh. I thank you, Waddizzle and AtticusLake, for providing me with useful information and helping me with this. I wish you both, and your loved ones, a safe, healthy and covid-19 free happy holiday season.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest looking on the R5 product page to see what accessories are listed.

Connecting a Canon body to an AC outlet typically involves two pieces. First there is an AC-to-DC adapter, which plugs into a wall outlet. This provides power to a “dummy battery” that installs inside of the battery compartment.

Canon cameras use a variety of batteries, so Canon makes a variety of dummy batteries to be used the same AC-to-DC Adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you Waddizzle. You are correct. It is compatible. Stay safe.

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

I just found this product page for this device:

https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-ac-e6n-ac-adapter/1425C007/?sku=1425C007

And under "Guaranteed compatibility with", it lists the R5. However it says "Must be used with Canon DR-E6 DC coupler" (which is the dummy battery part). So it looks like you should be safe if you have that coupler.

Thank you AtticusLake. Your handle would make a great name for a new Intel CPU. I contacted USA.Canon. Man, am I glad I went with Canon - excellent customer support. USA.Canon doesn't sell the DR-E6 DC coupler. Strange - across the pond, UK.Canon sells the part, but it's backordered as is the complete kit sold by Adorama, however, USA.Canon does sell a USB Power Adapter PD-E1 and it's listed as an R5 accessory. One can find instructions for its use in the R5 Advanced User Manual, the pdf, on page 860.

The USB power adapter is NOT compatible with your camera. You need the AC Adapter and the DC Coupler, as described in detail by Atticus Lake.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I decided to sidestep all that and stick with batteries. Canon makes other avenues inappropriate. Purchased extra batteries and a charger that utilizes a USB A male to USB micro B male charging cable. I can use that with the Anker power bank (rated at 26,800 mAh) that I already own. The Canon batteries are rated 2,130 mAh. I thank you, Waddizzle and AtticusLake, for providing me with useful information and helping me with this. I wish you both, and your loved ones, a safe, healthy and covid-19 free happy holiday season.

Announcements