cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd party accessories. Use or do not use?

ajbeatss
Apprentice

Hey all, so I recently just got my canon m50 repaired after having a reoccurring error 70 message. Anyways, I was wondering if using 3rd party accessories such as batteries, lenses, adapters is a bad thing? Do you think this could've been the reason my camera started displaying this error 70 message? I have heard many mixed reviews saying it's ok to use 3rd party products and then other reviews saying to stick with canon products. I still have my adapter and tokina lens that I am scared to use because of the fear of the error message reappearing again. What are yall opinions?

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Possibly.  With the exception of media cards*, I never use anything electrical or electronic from 3rd parties with my Canon gear.  I thus only use Canon batteries, lenses and other accessories (flash radio trigger, flashes, remote shutter release, etc.)

* If Canon did make media cards, I would use them.

If the accessory isn't electrical or electronic in nature, I do use 3rd party gear.  Currently, this only involves an L-bracket and other mounting equipment for use with tripods.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Possibly, and with a high degree of probability.  I follow the same practice as Ricky.  If it is an electronic accessory, then I will only use genuine Canon gear, which I only purchase from a Factory Authorized Canon dealer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

+1 for Canon gear.  +Consistent results.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements