cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZR930 to Mac connection problem

Morgan_Hagar
Apprentice

Trying to digitize some old miniDV tapes. I bought a ZR930. I'm running an iMac (Monterey 12.6.5). I bought a dv to usb cable for connection. When I plug in (and have camcorder powered on and playing) the Mac doesn't see it. Is there software I need for Mac to see it? 

I understand the ZR930 is out of date, but I was hoping someone has developed a work-around since then. Much obliged for an advice. Have a good one.

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

DV to USB won't cut it. It has to be Firewire to Thunderbolt. On my M1 iMac, for my Sony camcorder, I have a Firewire 4 pin to FW800 cable, an Apple Firewire to TB1 and an Apple TB1 to TB2 adapter. This actually works.

Morgan_Hagar
Apprentice

Holy smokes. 1st, thank you for getting back quickly and succinctly.

Now, follow up(s); If I have an older Mac with TB1 do you think I can circumvent the last TB1 to TB2 adapter? Is there a certain app that needs to be used to get the movies off the camcorder or does MacOS handle it?

If you have TB1 you don't need the TB1 to TB3 adapter. I used iMovie to transfer the images. Adobe Premiere Elements has had the importing feature removed.

https://support.apple.com/guide/imovie/import-from-tape-based-cameras-mov6af9c94c1/mac 

Morgan_Hagar
Apprentice

Awesome. Thank you again for all the info. I'll give it a go once TB1 to FW cable comes in. 

In return, Lord Vader, I promise not to watch ROTJ for a while. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is actually a hot air balloon.

Announcements