cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XA40 SD Card Memory

EagleEye827
Apprentice

Hi, I am new to the community so this may have been answered before (please forgive me if it has).  I see in the instruction manual for the XA40 a table that shows the approximate recording times for 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB & 128 GB SD cards.  Will the camera  recognize and record on larger capacity cards such as 256 GB & 512 GB or even 1 TB ?  Being able to use larger capacity cards would mean less card swapping for even longer recordings.  Thanks for any and all the help concerning this question.

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It should, at least the 256 GB variants.  The main thing is that you'll want to ensure you use the correct cards (e.g. I think the XA40 would require UHS-I cards and not work with UHS-II cards.

Having said that, do you really anticipate capturing continuous footage that would required 512 or larger cards?  I didn't think that the codecs on the XA40 were that hungry for space.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks Ricky.  New to the camera and was just asking because I will be attending a wedding soon and just wanted to have enough memory before hand to ensure I can capture all of the excitement !  I have (2) 128 GB, (2) 256 GB & (2) 512 BG cards.  Was just making sure I would not have to do a lot of swapping them out and in.  I always figured the bigger the better so there will be less chance of missing any action.

Announcements