cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I get two files for every recording?

graphicsgeezer
Contributor

I'm shooting a 3-minute video in a studio with a Canon Vixa HF G50. It always generates TWO recordings. One recording is longer and the second recording takes over from where the first one leaves off. It's as if the first disc has run out of space so the second disc takes over. The first disc was only about half full, the second less than a third. I've re-initialized the discs but that didn't make any difference. There is no overlap between the recordings-- one starts just a second or so after the other, forcing me to make an unpleasant jump cut or re-record a bridging session.

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

By "disks", don't you mean SD cards?  For those SD cards, what brand and capacity are you using?   Are they full-sized SD cards, or micro with the outer SD adapter sleeve?

Also, what codec are you recording?

I have an HF G50, and use twin 256 GB Sandisk SDXC cards (UHS-I, U3, Class 10).  I set the cam to record to both slots simultaneously.   I have not witnessed what you describe with capturing either HD or 4K at their maximum bit rates.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hello & thanks for your reply. The disks or SD cards are SanDisk 32 Gb Exreme Plus 90 Mb/s items. The camera is onlyl a few months old but it has always worked with these disks in it. I bought four, so changed the disks and reformatted them, but still get the same problem. I'm thinking I've got to ship it back to Canon but if you know of a setting I may have missed I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Announcements