cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF G30 - audio delay while monitoring with headphones

jakeman3
Apprentice

Vixia HF G30 - I get audio delay (about a second) while monitoring live audio with headphones. It happens with the built in mics or with an external mic.. Please tell me there's a fix and that a camcorder of this level doesn't have a problem that was corrected 20 years ago.

6 REPLIES 6

Mykolas
Authority

Hi jakeman3!

Thanks for the post!

Do you see the same delay if you playback the recorded video directy on the camcorder or after downloading it?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

1st off Mike...thank you for the reply & question. Often time manufacturers leave users hanging out to dry.

The audio delay is there only when I monitor live audio.

It doesn't matter if I'm using the camera mic of an external mic.

It doesn't matter if a SD card is in A or B slot or not at all.

It doesn't matter is the card slot door is open or closed.

It doesn't matter what format I'm using. I did a test recording in all of them.

It doesn't matter if the camera is in PAUSE or RECORD.

When I PLAYBACK the recordings (all formats) in the camera, the audio is in sync.

Even the PDF manual mentions audio delay on page 85. I've made the adjustment it suggest.

I found LINE OUT to be less objectionable but the delay is still there.

The audio is also in sync when they're ingested into the computer & during editing. 

And BTW, the computer is new & VERY high powered.    I hope this info is helpful.

It's apparent the problem is in the camera & Canon is aware of it (PDF pg 85). 

I just hope someone there considers this "bug" unacceptable & is working on a patch.

Thank you again, Mike for your interest & time. Feel free to ask more questions.

Michael, Michale, Michael ....I don't know how to make this any clearer.

When standing behind the camera & viewing the OLED panel with headphones on, all the sound I hear thru the headphones is slightly delayed from the live / real time sound. It sounds like slapback or an echo.

Have "talent" stand in front of the camera & clap their hands, The live image on the OLED panel is in sync with the talent.

But the audio you hear thru the headphones will be slightly delayed. This is VERY distracting. Especially during dialog.

BUT...when that RECORDING is played back thru the camera, the audio IS in sync with the video.

The audio & video is also in sync on the time line of my NLE.

So....my suggestion is to figure out why the audio sync problem exist, correct it & make that correction available to registered owners. 

Thanks much.... Jakeman3 - Torrance, Ca

1st off Mike...thank you for the reply & question. Often time manufacturers leave users hanging out to dry.

The audio delay is there only when I monitor live audio.

It doesn't matter if I'm using the camera mic of an external mic.

It doesn't matter if a SD card is in A or B slot or not at all.

It doesn't matter is the card slot door is open or closed.

It doesn't matter what format I'm using. I did a test recording in all of them.

It doesn't matter if the camera is in PAUSE or RECORD.

When I PLAYBACK the recordings (all formats) in the camera, the audio is in sync.

Even the PDF manual mentions audio delay on page 85. I've made the adjustment it suggest.

I found LINE OUT to be less objectionable but the delay is still there.

The audio is also in sync when they're ingested into the computer & during editing. 

And BTW, the computer is new & VERY high powered.    I hope this info is helpful.

It's apparent the problem is in the camera & Canon is aware of it (PDF pg 85). 

I just hope someone there considers this "bug" unacceptable & is working on a patch.

Thank you again, Mike for your interest & time. Feel free to ask more questions.

jakeman3!

As long as there is no delay in playing back the video after it is recorded, then everything appears to be working properly as I understand how it should be working.  However, your feedback is important, so I have noted your suggestion and passed it along.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

jonnetrees
Apprentice

the Canon Expert does not seem to understand why this is a big problem! This is the only camera I have ever experienced an audio delay or large latency issue, which severly hampers the abiltiy to record audio while monitoring with headphones, for my use it is for sport announcing during football or basketball events. We our looking for a way to fix the problem, not it being dismmissed as "working normally". This problem basically Ruins the camera for the intended use is was bought!

This is a legitimate complaint, but CANON, for which models is it conventional/common/expected? Which other camera owner has this problem, too? Other G30's? XA-20's?

Jonnetrees, how many connectors exist between the headphone and the camera jack? Have you tried a 16ohm headphone direct with just one 1/18 plug?

For those who wish to talk in front of the camera without a headphone entanglement, bluetooth creates longer latency. What other wireless solutions have any of you had success with? Has anyone tried the Sennheiser RS 120 or Set 840C transmitter/receivers? How is the functional latency?

Announcements