cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split files?

jla930
Enthusiast

I have a Canon Vixia HF R800.  The memory card in it is formatted as exFAT, which supports file sizes greater than 4 GB.  However, I shot a continuous video about an hour long, and the camera stored the video on the memoy card as 4 individual files, 3 of them a hair over 4 GB, and the last one a bit under 4 GB.  Why is this happening?  The memory card should support one large file.  I can't find any camera setting that specifies the maximum file size, or anything like that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello jla930, 

The camera has the ability to capture files that are 4GB in size or 29m 59s in length, whichever comes first.  It does not record clips continuously like a tape would, it breaks them up into 4GB clips.  These are able to be merged seamlessly during the post-production process.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33

Tim
Authority

Hello jla930, 

The camera has the ability to capture files that are 4GB in size or 29m 59s in length, whichever comes first.  It does not record clips continuously like a tape would, it breaks them up into 4GB clips.  These are able to be merged seamlessly during the post-production process.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you, Tim. Good explanation.

Is it really "seemless"  ? 

When I zoom in I can se that the audio drops out for a frame or so.  

I am not sure of the video drops out for a frame either?

If either of these scenarios are true, then there will be a one-frame glitch.

Capture.JPG

I see the same problem. But the video DOES advance on the last part of the file, so trimming would leave a video jump.

And the audio mute is on the last 1.5 frames, making it hard/impossible to trim completely.

This is at 60fps .MP4 highest bit rate.

Is there a fix for this for the G40?

I shoot church service each week, so there's 4 of these dropouts every week.

And my memory card is very fast, 128GB 95 mb/sec U3 class 10.

I take the card out and transfer from it for fastest transfer.

Wow I almost bought a R700 - just canceled my order after reading these file rollover issues. Canon told me zero drop outs too. He lied.

This, unfortunately, is the limitation of the FAT file system used on so many cameras. DLSRs have a limitation of 30mins max in HD but not in 4k. For long recordings you should possibly look at using an external recorder which has no file size or time limitations. There is the Blackmagic Video Assist and also the Atomos range which can take a clean HDMI feed from the camera.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

Thank you for the reply.  I understand that the File system has to split and roll over to the next file, no issues there if my one hour recording is 2 files or 10 files. But the Camera CPU and Hardware should have enough buffering to prevent data loss as the CCD images and Audio are still streaming in real time. Yes I thought of another box to record, but sort of defeats the purpose of the camcorder!!  We are a small church on a limited budget, I think canon is out. I'm now looking at a Sony CX550V do you know anything about that?

Tnx, Ed

Can anyone tell me the following: Is there a way to change the recording resolution to extend the length of recording to 2 hrs? What setting would allow me to get a solid take of that length without splitting? Thanks in advance.

To record vodeo for 2 hours (120 mintues or 7200 seconds ) the max bit rate would be 

4gb meaning

4096 MB /  7200  = .5688 

convert bits to bytes 10x seem to be the conversion from expermentation 

on my Nikon D7100 Kodak ZX5 and Panasonic FZ200 

I dont owhn a canon video camera

so "I Think" the answer is  5.688 mbs 

Cross checking it with Canon specs 

from https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/camcorders/consumer/vixia/vixia-hf...

32GB SD Memory Card in MP4*:
4 Mbps (1280 x 720)**: 17 hrs. 20 min.
17 Mbps (1920 x 1080)**: 4 hrs. 10 min.
24 Mbps (1920 x 1080)**: 2 hrs. 55 min.
35 Mbps (1920 x 1080)**: 2 hrs.

32GB is 8 x your 4GB limit (one file max size we hope) 

or take the  35Mbps / 8 = 4.375 Mbps 

in any case there is no 5 Mbps recording rate only a  

17 hours 20 minutes is   17*60 + 20 = 1040 Minutes 

1040 / 8 = 130 minutes or 2 hours and 10 minutes 

when using the 

mode

Any one want to confirm my math? 

Ed - Prescott Valley AZ 

Announcements