cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't download to my computer from my VIXIA HF S100.

Gordon
Apprentice

I have windows 7 64 and latest canon software updates. I get to the point where the camcorder seems to be creating thumbnails but then it displays the note:  "Do not disconnect the USB cable or the power source while the cancorder is connected to the computer. Cannot turn off the camcorder or change the operating mode." And everthing then freezes and nothing seems to happen. I have to pull the USB connection to unfreeze things and only then I can turn off the camcorder. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Gordon!

Thank you for posting about this!  I am more than happy to explain what you are experiencing. 

What you see is completely normal.  When connected to a computer for downloading, the compact power adapter must be connected and the controls are somewhat disabled.  This is to protect against the connection being terminated during the download, which can corrupt the video file being written to your computer.  If download is complete, you can disconnect the camera by closing the program you are using to download, then using the options in the Windows taskbar to safely remove/disconnect the camcorder.  Once it has been safely removed, then you can disconnect the USB cable and power the camcorder off.

I hope this explanation is helpful.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Mike for your reply. I do understand the intent of the warning not to disconnect. But the problem is that my camcorder does not seem to proceed to download anything to the computer.

Also, I don't know if this is important, but the instructions in the manual say something about CameraWindows being required (page 132)  but when I activate that program, I get the message that it can not find the camcorder even though the computer shows that the camcorder is connected and recognized.

I also note a reference in the manual to a program called PIXELA ImageMixer 3 SE (page 128) that is supposed to be on my CD that came with the camcorder (I have the CD Canon Digital Video Solutionos Disk Ver.32) but I don't find that program installed. Is there a location to download it directly form Canon? And is it even needed for downloads?

Any additional suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks

Hello again, Gordon.

One method of transferring clips is to use software to begin an import.  The software which should have been supplied with the camcorder, Image Mixer, would be capable of importing your scenes and clips.  This was on a separate disk, not on the Solutions Disk which is all Canon software.  Maybe you can search and find it, as that is one method to import video.  Regrettably, we do not maintain a site to download this software, which is made by Pixela. 

CameraWindow is used when downloading still images from the camcorder and is not used to download video. 

You may also wish to take advantage of our live technical support, which is available to you at no charge.  They would be able to walk you through any additional questions that you might have.  Please use our Support and Service site to get in touch with us directly. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your explaination Tim. That helps and I will follow up with tech support by phone.

Announcements