cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please: NTG3B on a Canon XF400 -- intermittent static; cannot resolve for the life of me

jarombra
Apprentice

I recently purchased two Canon XF400 camcorders and two RØDE NTG3B shotgun mics, all from B&H in the past six months.

A subtle crackle occurs sometimes when the two NTG3B mics are plugged into either Canon XF400. I've tried to isolate the problem, but it's not just one mic, not just one XLR cable, not just one Canon XF400 -- seems to happen regardless.

I suspect it might be WiFi? Kind of off topic, but does anyone know if these microphones pick up WiFi? I contacted RØDE and they said these mics should not pick up WiFi and suggested that I send them back for inspection. They said the mics were put to a 4-hour test "on the bench" with not a single static noise -- my mics are in perfect shape says RØDE.

Could it simply be a problem of how these particular mics and these cameras do not get along well (in terms of who knows what)? Maybe the Canon XF400 XLR input handle is not perfectly mating a connection (to the camera body itself)? All speculation at this point.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and thoughts. I also contacted Canon support, so we'll see if they have any tips.

2 REPLIES 2

Tim
Authority

Hello Jarombra, 

We''re sorry to hear this happens.  If you suspect there may be an issue with the camcorder, as you've had the mics tested already, we're happy to evaluate your camcorder at the Canon Factory Service Center to get this issue resolved.  

You may set up an online repair request through our web site at: 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi, thanks for the information. To truly test the problem I would have to send you my two camcorders and my two mics in question, but I suspect that is beyond the scope of Canon's service.

I am 99% sure that there is nothing wrong with either of my registered XF400 camcorders. And as I've confirmed that nothing is wrong with my RØDE NT3B mics with RØDE's service testing, I have to believe that the intermittent interference is either environmental or something to do with how these mics interface with these cameras. Talking to some other filmmakers, it sounds like trying to power XLR mics from a camcorder also gives them this issue sometimes. Who knows.

Thanks for the reply though.

Announcements