cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Video of daughter's concert is split up into two files right in the middle of a song...😒

queeniepng1
Apprentice

My apologies if this question has been asked and answered before. Maybe I wasn't searching using the correct terms?

Anyhow, I am looking for an editing solution to a video I recorded using the Canon Vixia HF R800. I recorded a continuous video of a concert that my daughter was performing in. It was a total of 5 songs and it lasted a total of 28 min and 45 sec. However, for whatever reason, when I loaded the videos to my laptop, the concert showed up as 2 separate files. The first file has 16 min and 12 sec on it and the second file has 6 min and 33 sec on it. Unfortunately, the files split up right in the middle of her last song.

• How can I join the files together?

• I would also like to be able to isolate each song individually in its own video. How can I do that?

Do I need to purchase some kind of video editing software to be able to do these things? Btw, my computer is a Dell laptop with Windows 10. 

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give me!!!  ~ Becky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for your reply!

So, do you have any recommendations of which MP4 editors to use? I have never done ANY video editing at all and would love to use one that others think is an effective and user-friendly one.

Becky

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Queeniepng1,

Thanks for posting.

Your camcorder will create multiple files when it records at any of the following quality settings:

• Scenes, whose file size exceeds 4 GB
  • Scenes recorded at 35 Mbps for more than 30 minutes
  • Scenes recorded at video quality other than 35 Mbps that exceed 1 hour in length

When a movie reaches one of the limits shown above, the camcorder will stop recording one clip and begin recording another.

The file size is limited by the file system the camcorder uses. While this system allows you to transfer images and movies between multiple, and sometimes incompatible systems, it does restrict file sizes.

The files can be combined using available MP4 editors.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your reply!

So, do you have any recommendations of which MP4 editors to use? I have never done ANY video editing at all and would love to use one that others think is an effective and user-friendly one.

Becky

Windows 10 has a simple video editor built in which may suit your needs. Click on the Windows symbol in the task bar and scroll down to "Video editor".

If your computer has a card reader slot(s), you can transfer the video files from the SD card there. Or you can download the file transfer utility from the Canon website and copy the files from the camcorder to the computer using USB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

queeniepng1
Apprentice
Thank you! I will check it out.

Yanqiao
Contributor

Join splitted files into one? Try Joyoshare Video Joiner. It can help you do this without any quality loss. You don't have to purchase it. It allows 5-time free use without limited functions.

Announcements