cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HF G50/G70 or older models with Wide DR or Canon Log Custom Profiles

orkanski
Apprentice

I am trying to figure out the cameras which have the Wide DR and/or Canon LOG in Custom Profile Settings on top of "Standard". Can someone correct or update my info?

So far:

HF G 40 - Wide DR, Highlight Priority

HF G21/G26 - Wide DR - Highlight Priority

HF G50 - Only Custom Profiles

HF G60 - Wide DR - Canon LOG

HF G70 - Only Custom Profiles

These are from the manuals, there maybe other cams or firmware updates enabling other settings.

If it's the case like above, I would be interested in Custom Profile settings people use to get close to a C-Log aka. Flat image for better control in Post-Production color grading.

Note: I read many comments "assuming it would be the same in the X Model" is completely misleading due to the features appearing and disappearing in new model iterations.

5 REPLIES 5

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings orkanski,

Per review of the information you've provided in your post, I can confirm the information is correct regarding the picture profile for each of the camcorders, and would like to expand on two models where you've listed "Custom Profiles". The VIXIA G50 and the VIXIA G70 camcorders shoot at a Gamma / Color Space of BT.709 and the option for shooting in the Gamma / Color Space of Wide DR like the rest of the other camcorders you've listed is not available.

Thank you for the answer Natalya!

That's a bit disappointing to hear though, as the form factor of 1/2.3inch current cameras don't have any high dynamic range profiles as far as I can see, as XA40 also don't provide them.

Next logical question would be about some "recipes" for custom profiling to get close to log profiles like wide dr and C-Log. I couldn't find that online, would be very interested if anyone use certain settings there?

It wont be possible to have the camcorders other than the G60 to mimic log capabilities.  The dynamic range is just too low.

Also, the G60 is the only camcorder to offer 10-bit 4:2:2 when using an external recorder).  The others will be limited to 8-bit 4:2:2.   All listed camcorders though record internally at 8-bit 4:2:0.   If wanting maximum editing capabilities, you'd need 10-bit 4:2:2.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I think I would even prefer a low contrast 8bit image to the baked in curve these cameras deliver. The highlights are simply unacceptable for my trained eyes.

I wish it would be possible to just put the features all previous generations already offered. It would make these camcorders even more versatile than they are already. I love the camcorder form factor but as it gets bigger and bigger, i start to prefer vastly superior large sensor systems or interchangable systems.

The 4K sensor G50 and G70 can definitely deliver better images. I find it odd that we cannot even buy the features for these cams with paid updates, instead of going directly to larger camcorders.

G60 is offering everything I'd need but the size is putting me off for portability and attention they gather, wish there would be the smaller sensor alternative.

It's a hardware limitation.  There would be no firmware updates, paid or otherwise, that could change the hardware.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements