cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Data Import Utility Crashes

wcndave
Contributor

If I import files with the utility, it crashes.

If I copy the files over, there is a little "blip" between joins when I put together in Premiere.

2016-04-17_10-58-00.png

I cannot find a download for the utility, so am using a very old version off a CD that came with my GF H30.

Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You should be able to find the latest software for the camcorder at the Canon's support site. 

-Are you trying to transfer from a card reader, or from the camcorder?

-Has the data transfer ever worked in the past?

-Do you have an active internet connection available when you try to transfer data?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your reply.  This software is not available at Canon support site, and I have seen numerous other requests on forums for this.

2016-04-18_07-36-02.png

I am trying to read from a card reader.  Windows can read the files fine.  The only thing I need the import utility to do is join the files to avoid the blip.

This worked on the sme PC when I first tried it last year.

Any program like this that would require internet connection to transfer local files would be malware and could be blocked by AV programs? Is that what you're thinking? However then there would be a notification, and it's official Canon software, so unlikely to contain malware.

"Any program like this that would require internet connection to transfer local files would be malware and could be blocked by AV programs? Is that what you're thinking? However then there would be a notification, and it's official Canon software, so unlikely to contain malware." 

Actually, most programs today require an active internet connection during the installation process.  It is a safeguard against piracy. Some programs install an update, which must download via the internet.  Such requirement is usually stated on the product packaging, or in the application's "system requirements" descriptions.

Some applications can and do require an active internet connection when you run them.  For example, Canon's Digital Photo Professional requires an active connection in order to download lens correction profiles.  Others require specific drivers, which are dynamically loaded so that you get the latest version.

----------------------------------------

"I am trying to read from a card reader.  Windows can read the files fine.  The only thing I need the import utility to do is join the files to avoid the blip."

Blip?  What's a blip?

You may want to check older versions of the Operating System for the Utility Software, also.

Well, I am connected to the internet, so it can't be that, much as I don't like that it's often required, due to a very slow connection and frequent offline working...

Anyway, what is the utility for? The only reason I installed it was that when bring in the separate files manually, and put them together, say in Adobe Premiere Pro, you get a blip, a pop, a clear "join" artifact.  As much as I didn't want to install a program to join the files, and one that would only work off camera or card! (much rather join them once on my local SSD), that seemed to be the only way to sort it.  I guess the keyframes or something need "mending" at the edges of the files.

I'm not sure what you mean about older versions of OS, I am running this on windows 10 right now, I don't want to have to downgrade my OS just to copy files from a card.  I really wish I could just copy them normally, however as I say, I get the blip.

"'m not sure what you mean about older versions of OS, I am running this on windows 10 right now, I don't want to have to downgrade my OS just to copy files from a card.  I really wish I could just copy them normally, however as I say, I get the blip." 

Who said anything about downgrading your OS?  I suggested looking for versions of the software released for those Operating Systems.  If found, then it is highly likely that utilities released for Win 7/8/Vista could work in Windows 10.

Yes, I see.  However the problem is that there are NO versions of this available online that I have ever been able to find.  I was hoping to get an updated version in fact, as it might have bug fixes.

The version I have is on the CD that came with the camera, and normally they are out of date and you should download latest version.

That version did work once in windows 7 when I tried it, and it's exactly the same CD install I am using now.

I really don't get why Canon don't make this utility available for public download...

It could be a simple oversight.  They recently revamped that portion of the web site.  Some things may have been missesd.  For example, the MAP Utility to use with DSLRs equipped with GPS seems to be no longer available to download.

So, does anyone from Canon read these? Is there some way to make an official support submission?

When I first searched for this 6 months ago, I found a lot of forum posts over the last 4 years saying the same thing, so it seems to have been this way for a long while.

The forums are not intended for direct product support.  You should call 1-800-OK-CANON, for direct support.

Announcements