Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Help with recording stopped due to insufficient write speed message with G30 camcorder

Okay, just started happening.  This is a transcend 32GB card.  Recording AVCHD 50p.  Most important thing here is that I have used it for a couple of years with no problem.  Just started now.  Do cards just slow with age?  Happenned once the second to last time I filmed, and three times the last time.  I alays do COMPLETE initialisation before a shoot.  Is that the same as reformat, or should I try to do that as well, and if so, how.  Just hoping the problem is the card, and not the camera.  As I record live stage shows, I cannot afford for this to happen.  I cannot just re-shoot if I am filming something live.  As I said, I have used this card fiming on the same settings with no problem up to now.  Thanks. 

VIP

Re: Help with recording stopped due to insufficient write speed message with G30 camcorder

If you are filming for a living, you should always have a spare memory card on hand.  I would consider "initializing" a card to mean performing a "low level format" in the camera.  It is usually a good idea to reformat a memory card if you filled it up and erased it several times.

Cards do not usually wear out, but the storage area, Block Allocation Table, that tracks where and how a complete file is stored can become cluttered over time, causing the OS to hunt for fresh space.  After two years of use, I think your card needs to be reformatted.  I have never used that brand.  I stick to Lexar and Sandisk, after having problems with Sony and DNY.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor

Re: Help with recording stopped due to insufficient write speed message with G30 camcorder

Thank you very much.  All very helpful.  I do have spares, don't worry.  Just a new thing to happen.  Just pleased if it is the card and not the camera!  Can you clarify format, as opposed to initialise, and how I do it, please.  Bear in mind that I always do COMPLETE initialise, not the quick alternative.  I probably thought that this was the same thing.  Thanks again.

VIP

@Howardw wrote:

Thank you very much.  All very helpful.  I do have spares, don't worry.  Just a new thing to happen.  Just pleased if it is the card and not the camera!  Can you clarify format, as opposed to initialise, and how I do it, please.  Bear in mind that I always do COMPLETE initialise, not the quick alternative.  I probably thought that this was the same thing.  Thanks again.

Better idea.  What steps do you take to "initialize"?  I don't have that model of camcorder.  I would expect that you should find an option in the menus for formatting removable media.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."