cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't get the wireless flash to work

peteck18
Contributor

I have a Canon 430ex speedlite and a Canon EOS 90D.  Try as I might I can't get the wireless flash to work.

The speedlite is set in slave mode

The camera settings are set correctly as far as I can tell  See the images below.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

Peter20201114_144302.jpg20201114_144353.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DId you step through the procedure for one receiver on page 180 in the advanced manual?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is the slave red IR receiver pointed towards the camera?

Do you see the pre-flashes before the main flash?

I'm not sure what you mean by the Red IR Receiver pointed towards teh camera.  .

When I try using wireless from my camera nothing happens. No pre-flashes, no main flash. If i activate teh flash on the camera that works not the speedlite. I"m sure I'm doing something wrong, I just don't know what.

On my T6S there is a Flash Enable, is that set to Enable?

DId you step through the procedure for one receiver on page 180 in the advanced manual?

Gee, it really helps to follow the instructions.   I didn't know about the advanced manual.  Thanks!!!!!!!!!!  Now it works.  Why this isn't spelled out in regular manual I don't know. I guess I need to read the advanced one now.

Thanks so much!!!!!

@peteck18 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by the Red IR Receiver pointed towards teh camera.  .

When I try using wireless from my camera nothing happens. No pre-flashes, no main flash. If i activate teh flash on the camera that works not the speedlite. I"m sure I'm doing something wrong, I just don't know what.

The "wireless" communication to the remote flash is line of sight.  There is no radio frequency communication.  The camera sends out infrared light signals, which the flash needs to "see".  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That helps me understand how the thing works. Thanks!!!
Announcements