cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triggers

nakukavali
Apprentice

Hi,

I have Canon T3i and 430 EX II and 420 EX flashes.

What is the best option for triggers to control one of them off camera.

I know that 420 EX cannot do manual(correct me if I am wrong)

So I want to use 420 EX on camera and 430 EX II off camera.

I want to control 430 EX II from camera both in ETTL mode and manual mode using  it as off camera flash and 420 EX on camera. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

You are in luck! No need to buy any triggers.  

Your T3i has the capability to act as a "Master" flash to both your 430EX II and 420EX using the Canon Wireless system  built into the pop-up flash.   The pop-up flash can be set up so that it contributes little or no light, or also act as a fill light. 

And yes, you are correct, the 420EX can not do Manual flash, only ETTL.  

The Canon Wireless system is not perfect as it needs "line of  sight" to work so many photographers prefer to use wireless radio triggers.  They can be cheap (manual flash only), or expensive (full ETTL control). Because your 420EX is ETTL only, you would need to get the expensive ones.  

I would first get your feet wet with what you have now before spending any more money. 

Here is a good video for you to watch...

:   

Mike Sowsun

Keep in mind, the sensor that notices that the master flash is firing is in the lower body of the remote flash and the flash heads rotate left/right.  This if you point the lower body of the flash toward the camera but point hte flash head in the direction where you need the light, it's more reliable because now the flash can "see" the master fire.

Indoors, in small-ish spaces, the remotes can be pointed ahead and they tend to notice the master fire anyway.  But in large spaces or outdoors, just make sure the lower body is turned to face the master.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

nakukavali
Apprentice

Thank you MikeSowsun and TCampbell for your inputs.

If I want to control these speedlights outside with a Trigger, which is the best ? I am on a low budget.

I am looking for a setup with On camera Flash + two remote Flashes.

Want to control all 3 flashes in ETTL and Manual mode right from the camera.

Which of the below setups would work? Or suggest me what is the best setup.

2 - Yongnuo 560EX III , 430 EX II

3 - RF-603 triggers

But not sure I can use 430 EX on camera

430 EX III, 2 - Youngnuo 565 EX

Yougnuo 622c

622c has passthrough for on camera flash.

622 can control Yongnuo 565 in ETTL

622 can contril Yougnuo 565 in manaul

Thank you in advance for your time.

If you want to use ETTL, the YN-622C is your only choice as the RF-603 is for Manual Flash only. 

I have never used the the YN-622, but from what I have read, you should be able to mix both manual and ETTL flash. 

More info here: YongNuo YN-622C ETTL Trigger Review

_622.jpg

Mixed Mode

The YN-622C also have a feature called Mixed Mode. This has basically 2 main functions –

Type A Cameras - this allows mixing of ETTL and Manual by allowing you to set ETTL, Manual (or Multi) on any flash, including the on camera flash, by making settings directly on the flashes themselves.

FEC from the camera will still be applied globally to any flashes set to ETTL, and you can also set FEC individually directly on each flash unit.

There is no remote Manual power control for the off camera flashes in this mode, but this is still well designed for wedding / event photographers etc who may require an ETTL flash on camera, as well as some remote manual flashes to help lift the background light in the room or create rim lights etc. The Canon menu system would not normally allow mixed ETTL and manual otherwise.

Mike Sowsun
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements