cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite EL-5 release postponed

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

CanonWatch have posted the following which they report is announcement from Canon Japan:

https://www.canonwatch.com/canon-delays-release-and-shipping-of-speedlite-el-5-to-summer-2023/

Canon Japan statement:

Notice of postponement of release of Speedlite EL-5

Regarding the Speedlite EL-5, which was announced on November 2, 2022 and was scheduled to be released in March 2023, due to production reasons, we are unable to prepare a sufficient supply for the launch. , We have decided to postpone the release to around the summer of 2023.

We would like to inform you and sincerely apologize.

Scheduled release date

(Before change) Scheduled to be released in March 2023
(After change) Scheduled to be released around summer 2023

We will announce the information about the release schedule in early June.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to customers who are waiting, but we will do our best to prepare for the release, so we ask for your continued patronage.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.
7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

JoeySnaps,

Thanks for reporting this.  This is a bummer because I know a lot of folks were anticipating the March release of this flash.  I guess July or August is now the target.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I don't need to replace my current flashes right now, but was wondering what I was going to do when moving to mirrorless.  My current target would be the EOS R5 Mark II (or equivalent).

I wasn't thrilled with the EL-1 mostly due to the much higher cost.  Not really an issue if you have one or two, but to potentially replace six 600-series units, ouch!

The EL-5 has the same guide number as the EL-1, and that is one of the primary factors I look at.

Having said all that, I'm now hoping to just keep the current 600-series flashes longer and use them with my next camera (mirrorless).  Would be tempted to pick up a couple more 600-series flashes as well.    If for some reason, the new camera would not work with the 600-series ones, I would definitely choose the EL-5 as its replacements.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Ricky,

If you're concerned about existing 600-series flashes not working with the new R series bodies with the new multi-function shoe, it might help to know that flashes with a conventional hot shoe foot will fit and function when directly mounted into the multi-function shoe of the new camera. Those flashes with a rubber gasket intended to provide a moisture/dust seal won't be sealed when mounted this way, and that's why Canon have released the AD-E1 shoe adapter, which fits between the flash and the camera's multi-function shoe and retains the moisture/dust seal.

I have the R6mkII which has the new multi-function shoe, and while I wait for my EL-5 I'm making do with a 430EXIII RT which has a conventional shoe. It works just fine.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

Thanks, Joey.  The only thing I ever mount on top my 5D IV (as well as the future camera) would be the ST-E3-RT or equivalent transmitter.  I only ever use off-camera flash.

--
Ricky

Thanks Ricky, so I expect you're using RF remote triggering, using your ST-E3-RT, rather than infra red. Your ST-E3-RT will work fine with a camera with multi-function shoe, or the ST-E10 will also work, with the advantage that this is smaller, lighter, cheaper, and is powered from the camera so does not need its own battery. Its control is managed through the camera's screen, it has a button which brings up the relevant menu. It's a great little transmitter.

Correct; I always use the ST-E3-RT for triggering and remotely adjusting settings that allowed to be adjusted remotely.   I should though look into getting the updated version (to allow for down to 1/8192 power settings).  For now I use ND gels to go lower than the 1/128 limit.  But of course you have to go to the flash and change out ND gels to adjust those low power values.

--
Ricky

JeroneKingsby
Enthusiast

It's hard to accept production's apology. The EL-5 was announced NOVEMBER 2, 2022. We are approaching APRIL/2023, after accepting a promised Release date of MARCH/2023. Now Production has a NEW release date of JUNE/2023 ... I smell a GREEDY Management/Marketing Rat ...

Announcements