cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old speedlite 420EZ, will it work with digital.

rb935
Apprentice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I doubt it.  Canon is notoriously bad about not putting in old fashion optical slaves in their flashes.  But maybe they did with the old EZ line?

If not you can get a trigger for it, like the Wein optical peanuts.  They're fairly cheap.  Or, if you're just going to shoot in manual get a cheap set of Yongnuo triggers for $30 and get both your flashes off-camera, using RF instead of line of sight.  But if you're going to use eTTL (on-camera) you'll have to use an optical trigger - most the cheap RF triggers don't have eTTL pass-through.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Tiffany

Hi Rb935!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what model camera you're using.  Any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

I am using EOS6D

rb935
Apprentice

I am using EOS 6D

I will work in manual mode only, no TTL.

Thanks, that was the answer I thought,I would get. Can this work as a slave to a Metz 44 AF-1?

I doubt it.  Canon is notoriously bad about not putting in old fashion optical slaves in their flashes.  But maybe they did with the old EZ line?

If not you can get a trigger for it, like the Wein optical peanuts.  They're fairly cheap.  Or, if you're just going to shoot in manual get a cheap set of Yongnuo triggers for $30 and get both your flashes off-camera, using RF instead of line of sight.  But if you're going to use eTTL (on-camera) you'll have to use an optical trigger - most the cheap RF triggers don't have eTTL pass-through.

Regular optical slaves do not work well with the 430EZ flash or any other EZ flash.  There is something in the advanced circutry that causes problems.  

What hapens is they will fire just once and then lock up. If you turn them off and than back on it will fire again, but as soon as the optical slave trips them again, they lock up once more.

You could use radio triggers but the other problem is that the 430EZ has a "sleep mode" that can not be disabled.  

Mike Sowsun
Announcements