cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus Bracketing with Speedlite EL-1 or EL-5 Flashes

DWS1
Contributor

Do you have a Canon EL-1 or EL-5?  And any of these cameras: R3, R7, R8, R10, R6 ii or R50?

If so, wonder if you can help me?

Is your camera, RF lens and Speedlite capable of Auto Focus Bracketing with flash?  Most camera/flash combinations default to electronic shutter mode in Auto Focus Bracketing mode and are not compatible with use of flash. This Canon document  (https://cam.start.canon/en/H001/supplement_0010.html, as of May 2023) suggests there the EL-1 does work with some newer R cameras.

If anyone is able to check, I would really appreciate it.

The function is enabled in the Red 6 menu (on my R10).

9 REPLIES 9

Stephen

I've removed this from the spam quarantine. It likely was flagged because the link doesn't work. I edited it (the comma was included). 

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

No flash photography IS NOT compatible with focus bracketing. This is due to the use of the fully electronic shutter. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks for your reply.  I should reluctantly accept your explanation. I only question it because the Canon document (linked above) does suggest that the EL-1 works with several newer Canon R models (including my R10!)?

Canon's mirrorless cameras work with flash photography with full mechanical shutter. Or electronic first curtain shutter. But flash photography IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the fully electronic shutter.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

The link you posted says focus bracketing is compatible with EL-1 and R3 (firmware 1.2.0), exclusively.

Yes that is true. That's why I told the OP it was NOT possible with their camera. The R3 is the only one that currently supports it. With the EL-1 speedlite I'm not sure about the EL-5 though.

-Demetrius

Thanks. I was confused by the Canon document which lists several compatible camera models (R3, R7, R8, R10, R6ii & R50) only to exclude them in the footnotes! 
(1: This feature is supported exclusively on the EOS R3 with firmware ver. 1.2.0 or later.

• 2: Feature not supported on the EOS R7, EOS R8, EOS R10, EOS R6 Mark II, or EOS R50.).
    I wonder if the compatibility will increase in subsequent models? Or be fixed in firmware? It might not matter to Canon but macro photographers are switching to Olympus OM-Systems partly because of Flash Bracketing with Flash. I have heard of several on You tube.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I looked at this earlier too.  Couldn't find anything definitive about the EL-5 but I suspect it the same as the EL-1.  FEB is only supported on the R3 with FW 1.2.0 or later.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Feature requests can be made from the Canon USA website.

Canon Homepage | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

shadowsports_0-1691415888442.png

Click [+]Feedback at the top, then Product and leave your request.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements