cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External flash recommendations for the Canon EOS 250D

JMcCann
Contributor

Newbie here...looking for some affordable  external flash recommendations...I have the SL3/EOS 250D.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I would take a look at the Canon 430 EX III.  While not the cheapest, it would provide for some extensibility down the road if you want to add more flash units.  These can be controlled optically or via radio signals (latter not requiring line-of-sight).

I think it's only optical (and you'd have to check if compatible with your camera), but there's the cheaper Canon EL-100 as well.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

The 430EX III-RT can be an receiver (slave) ONLY in optical mode. But it can serve either as a sender (formerly master) or a receiver (formerly slave) in radio mode. Note Canon has also released a non-RT 430EX III. This version of the speedlite can ONLY be an optical receiver (formerly slave).

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Hi Demetrius--

You've been very helpful in the past, so I appreciate your insights...but, what you wrote above is totally over my head...I do not understand any of what you wrote...receiver (slave) optical mode etc..

Please simplify.  Thanks 

A receiver (formerly slave) speedlite is an off camera speedlite. That is triggered by another sender (formerly master) speedlite or transmitter on the camera. There are 2 different methods to fire off camera speedlites radio or optical. The older optical method uses light coded signals to fire off camera speedlites. This older method requires line of sight to ensure that all of the off camera speedlites fire. Radio triggering uses an RF frequency to fire off camera speedlites. This newer method doesn't require line of sight. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

THanks Ricky...I appreciate your recommendations

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What is your budget to spend on a speedlite. Are you only using one on camera speedlite. Or are you going to be using off camera receiver speedlites too.

-Demetrius

Announcements