cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R100 settings for external PHOTOOLEX LCD flash

shopstefanov89
Apprentice

Hi,
I need a help about my canon R100 and Speedlite Flash settings.
I bought PHOTOOLEX LCD

1.JPG

When I use manual settings on the camera and turn flash on the external flash is working but the camera is not in "external flash mode"
When I go to
flash control -> external flash func. setting
it shows :
" This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off"
When I try it with my neewer strobe it shows the same.
I am a new and need a help with it please.

[Commercial link removed and replaced with screenshot to serve as visual aid.]

5 REPLIES 5

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Your flash system IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the External Speedlite Control Menu. This menu is ONLY compatible with some of Canon's speedlites. Not all of them are compatible but this is true for older speedlites from Canon. These speedlites have been discontinued and replaced by newer models compatible with it.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Thank you for your fast reply 🙂
What is the different if I use that flash with no that " External Speedlite Control Menu" as it's work anyway?
Is canon speedlite 430ex ii is compatible with Canon R100 and what will be the difference if I buy it ?

The 430EX II was the first midrange series compatible with the External Speedlite Control Menu. The External Speedlite Control Menu allows the photographer to control most. If not all speedlite settings from the camera instead of the speedlite's LCD screen if equipped with one. All of Canon's EX and EL-1 and EL-100 speedlites are compatible with your camera. The EL-5 & EL-10 speedlites are only compatible on certain EOS R series cameras. With the new multi function hot shoe. Your camera has the older hot shoe.

-Demetrius

Thank you. I will buy canon speedlite 430ex ii. As I am a beginner and the question will be very unprofessional and incorrect.
When I pop up the built-in camera flash, the camera display is brighter and it looks like is totally different mode and the photos are different/brighter/better look with flash.
Will it be the same when I buy canon speedlite 430ex ii and I activate "External Speedlite Control Menu"? Will the display, photos quality and everything will be the same as I pop out the built in flash?
I hope that makes sense.
Thank you

Exposure Simulation is DISABLED with flash photography. When the flash is set Auto Mode (E-TTL) the camera controls everything like the built-in flash. The photos will be better quality because the speedlite is more powerful than the built-in flash. Note the Red "IR" AF Assist Beam on the speedlite IS INCOMPATIBLE with mirrorless cameras. The speedlite's AF Assist Beam Automatically switches to Intermittent Flash Firing. The speedlite will pulse rapidly to assist the camera's AF system in low light and or contrast situations. But note depending on the ambient lighting the camera body may project an LED AF Assist Beam. All of Canon's Speedlites with an IR AF Assist Beam will do this even if the speedlite has a personal function between IR & Intermittent Flash Firing.

EOS R AF Assist Beam Emission Method.pngEOS R Series AF Assist Beam Protocol 2.png

IMG_20230522_173552.png

-Demetrius

Announcements