cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EL-5 Speedlite Shipped

chrishoesel
Enthusiast

I just received notification from B&H that my backorder for an EL-5 has shipped.  Now I wonder if it will work on my R5C (which we know it won't, even though it has the new multifunction shoe)  Was hoping the next firmware update would drop but haven't seen it yet.

Anyone else get theirs yet?

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites
16 REPLIES 16

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Lack of a included charger.  Everyone seemed to be surprised by this.

I'm fairly certain the R5 C will get EL-5 support.  Canon said it would in a Canon USA Video - in the comments...  not in the video itself, so there is some ambiguity.  No reason to believe it won't at this point.  The Tascam has a MFS, and so does the EL-5, so it seems likely.  

The 1.0.4.1. FW is weeks away now.  They have already demo'ed the AF tracking features on Canon Japan.  Whats on the product's support page, vs. what was in the press release, vs. whats in the video that was released all differs, so we will see. I think we will see ST-E10 support too (which is not mentioned anywhere), but is still a hope at the moment. 

@chrishoesel, thanks for the reply.  Hoping it all happens.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Danfaz
Enthusiast

This flash apparently isn't designed to use a bounce adapter or color correction filters. They aren't mentioned anywhere in the manual. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I think B&H has the filters and the bounce listed as compatible with the EL-5, but I'm starting to see posts about them not working like you said.  You'd think by looking at them they might fit.  👀

shadowsports_0-1687498042284.png

shadowsports_1-1687498270671.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

chrishoesel
Enthusiast

The reason these Speedlites are $399.00 is because there is zero provision for filters, modifiers, diffuser caps or gels to be installed.  (At least Canon ones, that are recognized by the auto functions of the Speedlite)  There are no sensors on the head for the flash to know that something is going to affect the E-TTL light power/duration.  Just use third-party accessories and modifiers and it will be ok.  I think at this price point, the flash is "good enough" and more suited to use off-camera and inside modifiers.  If you want Canon gels and attachments that communicate back to the flash/camera, maybe have to stick with 600-EX series or EL-1 (not sure if EL-1 comes with flash head accessories as I don't own one)

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites

Yes, it would appear to be that's the direction Canon went with this flash. What's interesting is that the lower priced (and powered) 430EX came with all the extra goodies. The EL-1 does come with the adapter and filters (it should for the price LOL). I wonder if there's some trickery coming at least with color correction that we don't know about?

chrishoesel
Enthusiast

It's very possible you might be on to something.  I guess there's always a tradeoff.  We get more power than the 430EX and a lithium battery, modeling lamp, and fast recycle times, but cheaper plastic construction, bare-minimum accessories (read: no charger and crappy quality storage pouch), as well as no active attachments for similar price to the 430EX-III-RT.  I'll take the faster recycling Li-Ion battery any day.  I can overlook the other cost-cutting measures.

Past Gear:
Current Gear:

Oh, absolutely regarding the battery! It makes a world of difference!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements