cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon old flash on EOS 5D Mark IV compatibility

PappyLaPew
Contributor

I am looking to use a older Canon flash on the 5d mark iv. The flash model is the 199a. I understand the voltage output of older flash’s can be incompatible with most new digital cameras. Most of the articles I have read on this subject has been informative to the subject but have left a gray area of doubt in my mind as to the compatibility. I welcome everyone’s opinion and experiences (been there done that) on this subject. Also welcome technical information as for me to process Thanks! 

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Could you make this work (199a) maybe.  Not all flashes are unreasonably expensive.  I reccommend buying/using a supported flash for your camera.

Here are some examples

Canon Refurbished Flashes | Canon Online Store

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for responding and yes there are many options for cheap new and used equipment. My second choice is to go that route if I can’t use some of my old equipment with my new. There seems to be positive information to utilize equipment in this way. I found this useful website that’s helpful in matching and using old and new equipment, involving flash.   http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html.

thanks for you advice!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I own a 199A and have used it on my Canon 5D Mk III just to test its compatibility. It has a 6V trigger voltage and is perfectly safe to use.  This is a film is era Auto Thyristor flash that can be used on almost any camera ever made. All you need is a hot shoe or a PC connection.

The light sensor at the front of the flash can automatically adjust the light output to match what ever ISO and aperture you set. Just match the camera settings to the settings on the flash. I would recommend ISO 400 and f/5.6 to start. 

With Canon EOS cameras, it also has enough connectivity to limit your shutter speed to the camera’s max sync speed, and display a flash ready icon in the viewfinder. 

Mike Sowsun

Hi Mike! Also Mike here, thank you so much for your information to my question. You have answered my question completely! I just have one more ask? How long and how frequent have you used your 199a flash on both your 80 and Mark 111? I know this is probably a stupid question for the reason if the flash is to harm the cameras it would have blown the circuitry the first time using, I imagine you haven’t seen any effects to your cameras in other ways using the flash. I purchased a new 5d this week to be delivered Monday. I just want to make sure I’m safe to use the flash. I really appreciate your help and I’m excited to get so familiar with the 5d.

Mike

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I have used the 199A on my SL1, 80D, and 5D3 only a handful of times over the last 4-5 years. I have never measured it, but Canon specifies it as a 6V trigger voltage, so there is no way it could harm any camera. 

Mike Sowsun

Thanks!! I’m more comfortable now with the bits of information I have received. Your information follows what I got from this web site on the subject. You may have seen it before, if not it’s full of good stuff. http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Announcements