eshchari
Apprentice

just start new m50 markii...flowersIMG_0103-2.jpgIMG_0116-2.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@ Eeshchari  Welcome to the forum! 😊
Given the camera body is only part of the story, I recommend including the following when you post images:
Camera model, lens model, FL, Aperture, S/speed and ISO.   This will give us a much deeper appreciation of your image and how it was taken.  Very often the lens, and its settings have a great impact on the image than does the body.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

eshchari
Apprentice

because it's my first steps i am using auto as per now to learn ...it's a kit with 15-45 len from canon.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

There are a couple of challenges in taking close-ups of flowers. Obviously, one wants to fill the frame as much as possible and with a lens that is not designed for close-up, high magnification, that usually means very close to the subject.  The challenge then is getting too close and breaching the mimum focusing distance, so that the whole image will start to get out of focus the closer one gets.

The second challenge is to get a decent depth of field.  For that one needs a fairly high f/value, something like f/8 to f/11, but with the smaller aperture comes less light transmission to the sensor, so one has to compensate with one of the other two exposure options: shutter speed or ISO.

While sensors have improved massively it's not a great idea to crank up the ISO too high.  What is appropriate depends on the specifics of the sensor one is using, but as a general guide, the smaller the sensor, the more it will be sensitive to his ISO values.

So, that leaves us with shutter speed, and here is where one can really slow down the shutter to get the light required.  What that could mean is having an appropriate support device, such as a bean bag, tripod etc., which is what most people use to get close-up shots.  If you have a lot of light, then you might get away with it hand-held, which is still my preferred habit, but I have steady hands!

Here are a few of examples of images taken with non-specialized lenses.  FWIW, the 80D has much the same sensor as the M50, as does the M5.
Canon EOS D30, EF 28-90mmCanon EOS D30, EF 28-90mm18-135 STM @135mm, f/10, 1/200sec, ISO-25018-135 STM @135mm, f/10, 1/200sec, ISO-250Canon EOS M5, EF-M 18-135mm@ 100mm, F/9,  1/50sec, ISO-200Canon EOS M5, EF-M 18-135mm@ 100mm, F/9, 1/50sec, ISO-200

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements