cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Then and Now #1:

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Just for a change from shooting wildlife, I was looking for inspiration and struck gold with the discovery of an archive in my local library of photographs of Auckland city dating back to the turn of the last century.   Curious to see how the place has evolved, and as a challenge, I decided to replicate as closely as possible the images taken at that time to contrast the city then and now.

One of the big challenges is to establish precisely from where photos were taken. Obviously, these were taken with different format cameras - mostly large plate - so I had to play around to get the similar fields of view. 

On top of that there was a non-technical complication... the city is much, much taller now and certain parts have been drastically terraformed - such as significant land in-fill along the waterfront and demolition of a couple of volcanoes for construction materials. The city is built on a live field of 50 volcanoes, the last of which erupted only about 700 years ago.

The old image is from the Auckland Libraries Heritage Collections and taken by H Winkleman around 1901

W0046-PANW0046-PANR6II, RF 24-105L f/4@55mm, f/8, 1/500sec, ISO-100, Panorama ModeR6II, RF 24-105L f/4@55mm, f/8, 1/500sec, ISO-100, Panorama Mode

This next image was taken of what was then the Grand Hotel, a very up-market establishment that today has retained its façade but not much else!   It is now a very exclusive hotel and I am trying to gain access to get a couple of shots to match those Winkleman took from the top balcony on the front.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
2 REPLIES 2

stevet1
Authority
Authority

Trevor,

That's a nice project.

Steve Thomas

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Thanks Steve.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements